Automation Rule to transition Parent issue when related children issues, which are not in the same p

Lotto24 AG November 12, 2020

Dear Community,

I want to create an automation rule that automatically closes (or else) the parent issue when the (last) child is resolved (e.g.). Problem is the children issues are spread through different Projects and I would like to have one rule in the parent issue's project.

We have use Automation Plugin.

Any help is appreciated!

Peter

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2020

This should be doable through a related issues condition/step.  You can specify the query to not be looking for a specific project (so it doesn't care about which project the linked tickets are in).  There are a number of Related Issues choices in this rule, one of them will work - worst case, you can use another JQL query there.

This can be done as part of a branching rule - where before this you're determining the Parent you want to be closing, and after you tell it to transition the parent to the status you want.

chrome_2020-11-12_14-42-07.png

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2020

You'll want that JQL query ("matching JQL") to return the issues you're expecting for a few different tickets, you can use the Validate query link on the right to ensure you're seeing the expected number of children linked to the parent.

Lotto24 AG November 17, 2020

Hi Chris,

thank you for your help and the given hints. Right now I am not sure where to put the rule itself. Should it be in the parent's project or in each project where possible related issues might be?

Sorry for my delayed responses. This rule is not my top prio but really nice to have.

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2020

No problem! 

The rule itself can be housed either on the project, or you can make it a global rule and then just specify a project inside (this comes at the cost of a more complicated audit log).

I would suggest you set this for a single project (that's found in the rule details under SCOPE), and then you could change the scope to multiple or global later, depending on your needs.

Lotto24 AG November 26, 2021

Great hint and will have to limit it a bit - audit log now superhuge. :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events