Automation Rule error - Close sub-tasks when Parent transitions to Done

Kirk, Becky August 12, 2020

My goal: Create an automation rule to close all sub-tasks in a story when the Story issue is closed.

I get an error in the audit log after running. I've attempted many tweaks but the error message is always the same and I'm in need of another set of eyes.

Audit Log Error: 

Action details:

Transition issue

Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status):AR-903 (To Do/Backlog - 10002)

Here is my Rule:

image.png

3 answers

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2020

Hi @Kirk, Becky 

The rule itself looks fine. 

For this error, simple first checks can be to see if there is a restriction or limitation in the workflow stopping automation from closing the sub-tasks - for example:

• Does the status "Completed" exist in the sub-task workflow?
  • Can all other statuses transition directly to "Completed" - i.e, if you don't have an open workflow (where all statuses can transition to all other statuses), then some sub-tasks might not have an option to transition straight to "Completed"
  • Does closing a sub-task require a specific field to be filled in - such as a resolution? Are you setting the resolution in this automation rule?
  • Is there a workflow condition for transitioning to done - such as it must be the Assignee?

^ Checking out the workflow and what might be missing from the rule will help decipher if this is just a tweak to the rule, workflow - or both!

If all of these check-out, let us know so we can advise further :)

Ste

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2020

Hi @Kirk, Becky 

In addition to what Stephen suggests...

Please consider adding a Condition after the Trigger and before the Branch (For Sub-Tasks) to confirm that the issueType matches what you expect: Story.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Hizkeel Khan April 19, 2022

Hey, @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ - I have the same error. I have set the resolution to done when sub-tasks are moved to done. This works fine. The issue I'm having is when all the sub-tasks are moved to done then the story itself doesn't close and the automation rule fails. I'll share the automation rule details and the workflow details as well. 

Looking Forward. Demo Workflow.pngAutomation Rule.png

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2022

Hi @Hizkeel Khan 

I recreated this rule and it works for me.

Is that Workflow above for Sub-tasks or Stories?

I'd be checking...

• Workflow: If that is the Story's Workflow, or it has similar single transitions - the Story would need to be in Ready for QA to progress to Done using this rule. Is that the case?
  • Resolution Screen: If the Story's Workflow has a Resolution screen, thus requiring a resolution at closure, rather than a post-function to set Resolution. If it does, you'll need to set the resolution during the transition action.
  • Rules: Ensure the Story Workflow has no other conditions, validators, etc related to transitioning to Done which you haven't factored into the rule.

If none of these are the issue, could you provide a screenshot of this rule's audit log - in particular, what error it provides when it fails?

Ste

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Hizkeel Khan May 12, 2022

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ - Thank you for your reply. The workflow is same for story and sub-tasks. 

For Resolution, I have created and added a post-function that whenever a sub-task is moved to done status. a strikethrough appears on the task confirming that the sub-task is completed.  

I have added some validators and conditions but I don't think it should affect the automation rule I have applied. 

Of course the story can't move to done status unless all the sub-tasks under that story are completed and moved to Done but as soon as my sub-tasks are moved to Done Status, my story should close automatically. 

0 votes
Mayur Patankar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2021

Opps..wrong thread I posted in

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2021

Hi @Mayur Patankar 

Did you post this one in the correct thread?  That suggestion seems unrelated to the question about an automation rule closing sub-tasks.

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events