Automation: Release Versions Automatically

chad zibbel June 10, 2021

When I transition an issue with multiple fix versions to a specific state  I'd like to release each version in fix versions. If fix versions contains one version I can do this. However, when the issue has more than one I can't figure out how to do this.

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2021

Hi @chad zibbel

without guarantee I found

{{issue.fixVersions.first.name.asJsonString}} 

could be working from: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/smart-values-json-functions/

However, please carefully check if it works. I am unsure if this works, the specific smart value always looks for the first version.

On a greater picture it seems the background are lists, here are some examples listed:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-lists/

Happy to hear what the result was!

Regards,
Daniel

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2021

Hello @chad zibbel 

Welcome to the community.

Please tell us what you have tried so far.

chad zibbel June 11, 2021

Sure. The automation flow is basically as follows.

1. My trigger event is that an issue has transitioned from the delivery state to the field release state.
  2. I lookup the issues that I want to modify using JQL.
  3. I release the version by using the smart value of issue.fixVersions.name.
  4. Set a flag so I know I've already done this work on this issue.

The problem is if an issue has more than one version listed in the fix versions field the automation fails because it can't find the version. I suspect this is because it is finding more than one version in that field.

My desire is to split the fix versions field into each distinct version listed and release that version.

Below is a screenshot of my current automation that works when fix versions only contains one version.

Jira.png

Like # people like this
chad zibbel June 14, 2021

Any thoughts @Trudy Claspill or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Suggest an answer