Automation: Parent-child issues Transition

Amy Chang April 19, 2024

Hi, 

Does anyone know how to do the below scenarios:

1. When the 1st Task transits from Priority to WIP, it automatically transits its parent to In Progress.

2. When the last child issue moves to Done, close the whole EpicScreenshot 2024-04-19 at 4.39.19 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-19 at 4.40.00 PM.png.

In our project, we have 3 hierarchies - Initiative (1st ), Epic (2nd), and Task (3rd); their relationship can be referred to in the attachment below.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 4.28.59 PM.png

The problem I encountered is:

When one of the Epic is closed by the automation (Scenario 2), the Initiative will be affected by this automation and transit itself to Done even if it has the Epic (child) in In Progress status.

How can I avoid this problem, and what adjustments can I make to my automation?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

Hi Amy,

Add a Condition in the first rule above right after the trigger and before the Branch to check if the Issue Type = Epic 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2024

Hi @Amy Chang 

Agreeing with John's suggestion, and...some questions to clarify the use case:

Do you want the Initiatives to also update for those scenarios, based on changes to their child Epics?

For either of your rules, have you enabled the "Allow Rule Trigger" setting in the rule details at the top?  Enabling this option allow the action of a rule to trigger the same, or other rules.  That may not be desired if you do not want the Initiatives to automatically update.

Kind regards,
Bill

Amy Chang April 21, 2024

Hi @John Funk  and @Bill Sheboy

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, it would be good if the automation could update the Initiative.

I made the automation for the Initiative (the same rule as the above attachment) but set it as the global rule. The reason is that in our Jira, each Project = each department, so we need a top-level type (Initiative) to include all the related tasks. The Initiative contains Epics from different projects, so I encountered difficulties with the automation. I'm not sure whether the automation didn't work perfectly because of this.

Moreover, I didn't select the "Allow Rule Trigger".

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2024

So with those changes, is it working now? 

Amy Chang April 26, 2024

Hi @John Funk 

Yes, it works well.

I made two rules: one is a multiple-project rule, another is a single-project rule. I defined the condition: who is the parent, and who is the child?

I also selected the "Allow Rule Trigger" in the second rule, so if I delete or add the fix version in the Initiative, it can automatically update all the issues (epic-level and task-level)

@John Funk @Bill Sheboy appreciate your help.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2024

Awesome! Glad you got that working!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events