Automation - Not able to update 'Teams' field for issues

Gowtam Kamath October 4, 2021

Hi,

I am trying to define an automation rule as below

When a new Issue is created -> Edit issues to update 'Team'.

Problem: 'Team' is not available in the 'Available Fields' for 'Edit Issues'

Under jira custom field setup, it shows up as "Team (LOCKED)". Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Gowtam

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2021

I believe the only way to edit the Team field in automation is to use the More Options section of the Edit action, and use JSON code like this:

{
"fields": {
"Team": <value>
}
}
Noga Shemer February 14, 2022

Is there a way to populate the Team field by copying the value of another configured custom field?

Noga Shemer February 14, 2022

Please ignore - found it

Like Nofar Ben Kereth likes this
Nofar Ben Kereth April 5, 2022

Hey Noga, how did you manage copy the Team field from another field? 

Noga Shemer September 13, 2022

I had to look for the <value> in a filter: once you create the <value> it gets a numeric identifier that can be found if you pick the <value> while using it in a regular filter.

011_avinash February 19, 2023

I have two queries on your response @Trudy Claspill .

1. When I open JSON code to add the Team field, I can see the already written code and some other fields are also displaying with their values, like Labels. What shall I do with that? Shall I remove that code and add just mine? (** My project code is shared by many independent teams)

2. After updating the JSON code like -"Team": "DCA Squad", what should I do? Does it mean that, all the desired issues will be assigned the Team as "DCA Squad" after the automation rule runs?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2023

Hello @011_avinash 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

1. Delete the default code that is added to the JSON field. It is provided as an example.

2. Without know the details of your Automation Rule, the only answer I can give you is that any issue for which the rule runs and progresses to the step where you have added the code should get its Team field set.

Having said that, I will point out that

"Team": "DCA Squad"

won't work. You need to use the numeric ID for the team, not the text name. 

If you need additional help with your Automation Rule, please start a new Question in this community. It is considered a bad practice more questions to a post that already has an Accepted Answer and is over a year old.

011_avinash March 3, 2023

Thanks @Trudy Claspill . I will take care of your suggestions and will start a new question next time :)

0 votes
Alexa September 22, 2023
0 votes
Sanjay Santhoshkumar January 22, 2023

3 steps  that worked for me. Assuming you already have Team field enabled and few shared teams are created from plan section.

1. Need to find the custom field id of teams. 

I manually created a issue and populated team value. After that I exported that issue in XML. You can do that by opening the issue and click the 3 dots at the right side. From XML I could find the custom field id as below

<customfield id="customfield_10001" key="com.atlassian.teams:rm-teams-custom-field-team">
<customfieldname>Team</customfieldname>
<customfieldvalues>
<customfieldvalue id="1">BlueTeam</customfieldvalue>
</customfieldvalues>
</customfield>
2. You need to know the numeric value of the teams. You can get it by using the filter @Trudy Claspill  mentioned above.
3. you can use the below format in the automation 
{
"customfield_10001":"1"
}
}
Hope this helps!
shruti.pradhan May 17, 2023

i have been struggling to find solution for this . This comment was game changer for me 

Many Thanks 

Like Sanjay Santhoshkumar likes this
0 votes
Gowtam Kamath October 6, 2021

Wow, that worked like a Magic!

Thanks a ton @Trudy Claspill 

Regards,

Gowtam

0 votes

Thank you for the help @Trudy Claspill 

I tried your suggestion as below but I received an error = "Team with ID 'XYZ' could not be found"

--

{
     "Team": "XYZ"
   }
}

---

The team name = 'XYZ' is one of the many shared team names created in the Advanced Roadmap. While I perform Issue update (single or bulk) I am able to see the values 'XYZ' as a dropdown but failed with automation. How can I get the ID of the shared team created in the advanced roadmap. Any clue please

Thanks & Regards,

Gowtam

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

Go to the Search Issues screen.

Start entering a search for a value in the Team field.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 5.31.43 PM.png

After you select the matching team, the filter will automatically update to show the team ID.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 5.31.52 PM.png

Like # people like this

The Search option for Team ID was a hidden gem. thanks again @Trudy Claspill 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS