Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation - I am looking for a way to sum Story points for particular epic

Edited

I was trying to follow tutorial presented here:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/sum-up-story-points

However this fails for me. I suspect that relation between Epic and Story is not a subtask in:

{{issue.subtasks.Story Points.sum}}

Above prints 0 as if  there were no child under Epic.

When I try to apply rule for relation of Story - Sub-task it works all good. 

However for Epic - Stories it does not work. Can you please help me on how to automate update of Epic total Story points when SP value of child Story is edited?

2 answers

@Piotr Gilert: You can find a video tutorial here that is similar to what Bill has shared earlier. It provides you with various rules to keep the story points under an Epic in sync.  

Link: https://youtu.be/PROcxEOMyGM 

Thanks.  

Hello @Piotr Gilert 

Try this instead

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 8.48.37 AM.png

The code they have for the final Edit is also not right for summing story points to the parent epic, so you'll have to work out the change for that also. Let us know if you need help with that.

Thanks for your answer. This is exactly where I'm stuck.

I am not able to proceed on the level of

"Then: Edit issue fields"

as the formula {{issue.subtasks.Story Points.sum}} does not work. 

Hi @Piotr Gilert 

One thing to consider is when you want to sum the story points for the children of the epic.  What problem are you trying to solve, as that may influence the "when"?

If you always want the epic to always contain the total from the stories, regardless of when they are changed or which ones are sized, you could do this to replace the epic's field value:

• Trigger: field change for Story Points
  • Condition: issue type is Story
  • Branch: for epic (parent)
    • Action: lookup issues on JQL "Epic Link" = {{issue.key}}
    • Action: edit the epic story points field with
{{#=}}{{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}} + {{triggerIssue.Story Points|0}}{{/}}

Note in a rule triggered by an issue, I believe any JQL excludes the triggering issue, which is why you add that value to the results of the Lookup Issues.  Please check my work if that is incorrect.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Admins, notify your Jira instance of system-wide changes with the new admin announcement banner

Hi All! We’re excited to share the launch of an announcement banner that lets Jira site administrators communicate directly to their users across their  Jira Cloud instance.  ...

481 views 16 17
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you