Automation Errors

Celina Kim February 11, 2022

Hello,

I have set three automation rules in Jira but it doesn't seem working consistently. 

For example, I set an automation that all subtasks will be "Closed", following the parent's status when the parent issues are moved to "Closed" status. Some of the subtasks were moved to "Closed" but others didn't move. When I checked the audit log, it doesn't show there was any failure. Thus, I didn't notice the automation wasn't working for some subtasks until our team members brought it up and when we were trying to close our sprint. 

We are using a free version right now since we only have 10 users using the tool. Also, we only have 1 project. Thus, I set all of these automation for one project. With my research, there shouldn't be any limitations to run automations for one specific project. Is it right?

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

Hi @Celina Kim  - Did you ever get this working?

0 votes
Celina Kim February 15, 2022

Thanks for trying to help me. As I was trying to answer your questions, I figured out what was wrong in my setting. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2022

Can you share your automation and the log from on case where you observed a failure?

Celina Kim February 14, 2022

Automation_Auditlog.pngAutomation_Setting.png

As I mentioned, the audit log doesn't show any failures. We can just see some of the subtasks didn't move to "Closed" status even though the parent issues were already moved to "Closed" status. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2022

Hi @Celina Kim 

Would you please expand the details in your audit log for an execution that didn't work as expected and post that image?  That will show the specific issues (subtasks) found and which ones the rule attempted to transition to "closed".

And, try to find an example issue which did not move all of the subtasks to "closed", and then look at the subtask's history to see if it moved to "closed", and then was re-opened, perhaps by another automation rule.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Celina Kim February 14, 2022

As I'm investigating this after I read your message, I've gotten a question. I'm wondering if it's because the automation only applies to "Story" issue type... I've found out that the automation didn't move the subtasks to "Closed" status for the issues with "Bug" and "Investigate" issue types. But... it doesn't seem making sense... As you can see, I set up the automation for all issues... 

I've only checked my team's current board today to find this out (I already manually fixed status of all subtasks in the previous sprint before the new sprint started). I can wait one more day to see if what I found is right or not. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2022

It should not matter what the parent type is as long as they have sub-tasks associated to them. Can you share screenshot of expanded log showing the sub-task actions on one of the operations where sub-tasks were not transitioned? 

Suggest an answer