Automation Error: Adding/Managing Watchers When Creating Issue

Mateus Almeida April 11, 2023

I'm experiencing a new error when creating an issue that I have not seen (with this setup) since June of 2022, ie, this setup has worked perfectly fine for the last 10 months.

Now, when creating an issue, I get this error message that pops up.

But, this is where things get interesting..... One - or all - of these setting to manage automatic waters on our board issues are working.

So the automation and/or workflow post functions may be working, but an error banner shows regardless. Thoughts??

Jira Watcher Error - 5.jpgJira Watcher Error - 4.jpgJira Watcher Error - 3.jpgJira Watcher Error - 2.jpgJira Watcher Error - 1.jpg

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2023

Hi @Mateus Almeida 

I wonder if you are running into one or more collisions, possibly due to...

a) In one of your rules, you appear to be trying to add the assignee three times, with three different smart value expressions:

{{assignee}}
{{issue.fields.assignee}}
{{assignee.key}}

Have you tried removing two of those (leaving just one) to observe what happens?

b) You have two rules triggered on Issue Created, both of which adding assignees to issues meeting the same conditions.  Why do you have two rules?

c) You apparently have automation rules (triggered on issue create, update, and user changes) and workflow (triggered on transition) to all update Watchers in the same way.  Why are you using both methods rather than just one?

And, if you look at the issue history (and rule audit logs) after an issue appears to display that error, you may be able to isolate the cause.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Danielle Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2023

Hi @Mateus Almeida 

Have you checked the automation audit logs?

Mateus Almeida April 11, 2023

@Danielle Green Yes, automation audit logs show "success", but I can't tell whether the watcher error popup is from the automation or post function since the rule executes successfully regardless of the error.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events