Automation: Comment as Assignee

Colin April 12, 2023

I want to automate creating a comment, with a template of information that needs to be completed, when a person is assigned.

I have the automation creating the comment and adding the template information but they are all comments from me or if I change the rule Actor then them.

The comment needs to be created by the person the ticket has been Assigned to so they can edit the comment and complete the details on the template.

Is there a way to make the rule trigger be from the person who triggered it, this seems like an obvious thing to me but I cannot see a way to do it.  Or is there any other way to get the comment created from the Assignee?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2023

My approach would be to make the automation rule append a comment that @mentions the assignee, and then let them add a new comment, but that's just me.

0 votes
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

Hi @Colin ,

In Automation, we have only three options for selecting the actor who is performing the rule action.

1. Rule actor .(Example: Jira Automation user)
2. Select User with required permissions by adding the name
3. User who triggered the action. 

You cannot select field values like "User in Assignee" etc.

Workaround:
 I would suggest you to grant "Edit All Comments" permissions on the project. So user can edit comment even if its added by automation user.

Draw back: User can edit any comments in any ticket of the project he has permissions to 

Colin April 12, 2023

Hi @Rilwan Ahmed 

Thanks for this, I'm intrigued by option 3 as this was my original route that the person could trigger the action and the comment would be assigned to them but I again could not see a way for this to work.

That would be a better way than the assignee imo - do you have an example of how that works?

Otherwise your suggestion of Edit All Comments may be the way forward and I'm not sure we can set that as this instance is not just our team.

Thanks

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023

Hi @Colin ,

1. In Jira server, Open your Automation rule, click Edit.

Under options, select "Run as the user who triggered the rule". 

image.png

2. Regarding Permissions scheme changes, if your permission scheme is not shared with other projects, then users of other project will not get "Edit all comments" permission in their project. 
If the scheme is shared, create a copy of it, make changes as required and assign it to your project.
This can be done by your jira admins and not project admins. 

Colin April 13, 2023

Hi @Rilwan Ahmed 

Looking at your screen grab and that's not what we get in our automation, I only wish it was, and no idea why or if it's a versioning etc as we don't manage that side of things.

Ours looks like this

2023-04-13 14_24_59-Automation - Jira - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

There are no options like that I can see so it probably means we can't do it on our automation ☹

Suggest an answer