Automation : Average calculation

Joseph Hani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2022

Hello everyone ! 

To give you more information on my instance and context :
I'm on Jira Cloud Premium, I have setup an Issue type hierarchy with an Initiative level on top of Epic.
I have added the custom field "Parent Link" to my Epic.
Mostly, all the link are being made through Advanced Roadmap with "Review changes".
So 1 Initiative --> Multiple Epic --> Multiple Stories ...

Now the question :

I have in my Epic a numerical field that is a % of progression of advancement which is added manually (% Progression)
I'm trying to calculate the average of this field and add it to my issue type Initiative custom field "Sum of Progression"

I know the formula in math (lol) : (Sum of Progression) / (Total number of Progression) = %
but I don't know how to formulate it in Jira smart value / variable / ... :/

The easy part of the Automation I got :

Trigger : Value changes for % Progression
Issue field condition : Issue type = Epic
Then lookup issue : "Parent Link" = {{issue.parent.key}}

If anyone could please give me a hand on this, or even brainstorm with me it could be super great and really helpful !

Have a nice day ! 

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Hani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2022

It works ! 
But it can only works with link being made by Advanced roadmap, not the classical "Linked issue"

Capture d’écran 2022-08-09 à 15.24.55.png

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Hani
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2022

I managed to make the average calcul but I can not find how to copy/paste the value inside the Initiative, since branch related "Parent" doesn't work. 

Here is some screen of the configuration : 

Any idea on how to change the value on the Parent initiative ? Capture d’écran 2022-08-09 à 12.22.54.pngCapture d’écran 2022-08-09 à 12.23.33.png

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2022

Hi @Joseph Hani 

I see you have solved your question, and I wanted to ask...

Did you intend the Initiative's percentage value to be the average of the Epics' percentage values, or the actual indication of progress?  Those values are not the same thing.

If you want the actual, instead please consider calculating:

(Total count of "done" stories in the epics) / (Total count of all stories in the epics)

That can be found using a Lookup Issues to find the epics, a variable to store their keys, another call with Lookup Issues to gather the grandchild issues, and finally calculate the result using list filtering and a math function.

Kind regards,
Bill

Joseph Hani
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2022

Hello @Bill Sheboy ,

Thanks for your answer! 

This is a great idea I would keep in mind for a V2 since it will be more exact ! 

For our needs, we just wanted to have the information about the general progression even if the Epic is not done. 

In the Epics we have the average of progression depending on the status of their stories (done = 100% and backlog = 10%). That will give us a number of general progression on the Epic 

In the Initiative, we have the average of the summarized percentage of all the Epics Linked. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Anthony Kozlov_SaaSJet_ August 9, 2022

Hello @Joseph Hani 

I'm not sure, but I guess It's not possible without the third-party add-ons(

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders