Automating status change from Automated comment on issue

Sol August 10, 2022

I have an issue here whereby an automated comment from user: Automation from

Jira  Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 15.51.37.png

doesn't trigger an automated status change. 

I have the following automation in place which I've successfully tested with a manual comment from myself and works fine. However when the automated comment above is triggered it does not go on to trigger the status change. 

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 16.02.22.png

I've tried several variations without luck. 

for example: using

{{comment.body}} contains XXX (some variation of the words in the automated comment)  

or

{{comment.body}} equals XXX (added the exact automated comment in picture 1)

and also 

{{comment.author.displayName}} contains Automation for Jira

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 16.05.07.png

Any idea why automated comments don't trigger the automation and work around would be greatly appreciated! 

Many thanks  

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2022

Hi Sol,

I have had success with checking some words in the comment. Here is a screenshot of Condition that works for me.

Maybe switch out my words of "I approve this ticket" for "has been resolved".

Screenshot.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2022

Hi @Sol 

Yes, and...to John's suggestion:

Please note the comments smart value is a list, and that John shows a check on the last one added.  It is possible your condition is trying to match on a different comment body, so please try {{issue.comments.last.body}} or using the change log for the specific changed value.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Sol likes this
Sol August 10, 2022

Thanks for your comments @John Funk and @Bill Sheboy

I've tried both of these methods and it doesn't seem to trigger. My suspicion is the fact the comment is automated. For wider context the workflow I'm trying to configure is as follows: 

• Project A: ticket is created 
  • User clones or creates similar ticket in Project b and links to Project A's original ticket. 
  • Once ticket in Project b is completed this triggers the automated comment that appears in Project A's ticket. (see automation below which currently works fine) 

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 18.00.11.png

• Using this automated comment as a trigger, it sets the status of issue to done, thus mirroring status from Project Bs ticket.

Maybe there's an easier workaround here but just cannot get this last automation to be triggered. as mentioned when commenting myself it triggers fine and sets to done. But for some reason doesn't like the automated comment or the Automation for Jira user that makes the comment... 

Thanks

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2022

Ah, so the trigger never fires at all? If that's it, go to the Rule Details page and click the box under the Allow Rule Trigger heading. 

Save and publish and that should do it. 

Like # people like this
Sol August 10, 2022

Thank you @John Funk

I feel like an idiot!

I also noticed that I could also just add a second action to the initial commenting rule to comment AND change the status of the linked issue: Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 18.25.15.png

Since this is a global rule I was a bit worried this would affect other projects but with the condition of the only project (US) that should be enough, I think? 

Thanks so much for your help! 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2022

Please don't because I have done this multiple times and that would make me an idiot multiple times over, hahaha. 

Yes it will only update those on the US project, but if this is global, this is going fire when every issue in your system moves to Done because that's the initial trigger!! That's a lot of global executions!! You might want to consider turning it into a scheduled trigger and only running it once a day or a few times a day if you need faster resolution. 

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2022

Sol, well done troubleshooting and combining your rules!

And, as you are using global rules, I strongly encourage adding a global rule to watch for SLA/usage thresholds.  This can help detect when you are approaching your execution/processing limits and perhaps email the site admins for action.  The trigger to use for that is "Service Limit Breached".

Like Sol likes this
Sol August 11, 2022

Thanks for the tip, I've added this global rule and will also change the trigger in the automation to come from specific projects and ticket status' to reduce service usage before going into production. 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2022

Very nice!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events