Automating Recurring Tasks - JQL error

Lawrence Zhu December 8, 2022

Hello,

I am trying to create an automation rule that duplicates a task, is triggered via schedule, and only duplicates tasks with a specific label (in my example 'Repeating'). When I try to run the automation it directs me to the JQL prompt; attached below.

It also includes the message:

"The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. You need to use the option to run JQL to provide issues. The following components require issues: Issue condition", which prompts me to the JQL section. Does anyone know a fix for this? Apologies if this is an easy solution, my knowledge on coding is minimal. Thanks for your time on this!

Lawrence

JQL issue.png

2 answers

1 vote
Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 11, 2022

Hi, @Lawrence Zhu !

You can also create recurring tasks using the Recurring Checklists and Report add-on. There is a scheduler for recurring tasks in Jira including checklists.

image.png

The app is developed by my team. Let me know if you have any questions. You can check if it's good for your case with a 30-day free trial.

1 vote
Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2022

Hi @Lawrence Zhu 

so there is a short explanation of what's happening:

• your action "Create a new issue" has "Same issue type as trigger" option
  • that implies your trigger (which is "Scheduled") should provide some provide some issue type to an action
  • at the moment I believe your JQL is invalid, so there are no issue to be returned by it, and so issue type might be unavailable for your action

I think you can simplify you rule a lot, which should also fix your issue:

• leave the trigger as is, but modify the JQL to find only tasks with "Repeating" label (essentially merging your branches into a trigger)
    • your JQL would probably look something like this: issuetype = Task AND labels = Repeating
  • then you can also leave your action as is, just move it out of if block

Let me know if that helps.

Best regards,

Maksim

Lawrence Zhu December 9, 2022

Hi Maksim,

You're the best! Didnt know you can assign issue types and labels in JQL. That makes it so much simpler. Thank you!

Lawrence

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events