Automatically update Kanban board with a script?

Helena Z_ June 23, 2021

Hi there, I'm working with the Jira Kanban board and would like to update the priority of issues on the Kanban board automatically through a script.

Currently, I need to manually move the issues around through the UI myself so that the priority gets changed. It seems to me that the Kanban board is using an internal ranking value for positioning an issue on the board.

I looked for Rest APIs for Jira but could not find a POST method that updates the board UI based on changed priority. So I wonder how and whether I can manipulate programmatically so that the ranking value can be changed from the backend for a given issue (or perhaps Jira ticket) so that the UI gets automatically updated.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

Do not mix up "priority" with "rank".  

Priority is a field, an attribute of an issue that is set from a fixed list (like: high, medium, low, trivial).  A high priority might be a good indicator that something should be high on the to-do list, but it does not determine it, and many issues can have the same priority.

The rank is the position of issues in a list that shows the order in which you are planning to tackle them  (which is what you're seeing on the board).  It is driven purely by humans saying "this should be higher than that on the list"

You can set Priority with the REST API by directly editing issues.

You can set ranks with the REST API with https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/software/rest/api-group-issue/#api-agile-1-0-issue-rank-put

Helena Z_ June 23, 2021

Thanks so much!

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer