Automatically assaign sub-tasks to creator

Krzysztof Obstawski December 18, 2020

I would like to automatically assign sub-task to a developer who created it.

I've already tried using post function, but since there is no specific creation event for sub-tasks it works also for other issue types.
I am currently experimenting with automation feature but I am not really familiar with it and I am running out of ideas.

I tried using trigger "issue created" but it doesn't seem to catch those subtasks no matter what condition I am using.

3 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

i just wanted to add that you can create a sub-task specific workflow if you wanted to leverage PF. But it may be that automation is the better/simplier approach and will defer to John to work that to closure with you here. 

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2020

Hi @Krzysztof Obstawski 

It works for all users , who creating sub tasks.

image.png

created an automated rule , works perfect for me. check the below image.png

If it works, please accept my answer.

Thank you for your message, unfortunately I have already tried the PS solution you proposed and it affects not only the sub-tasks but other issue types as well so it is not exactly what I am looking for.

I replicated the automation you posted and it is not working for me. It is not recording any logs. My team likes to use this view to add new sub-tasks, do the way how the issue is created affects the automation?
obraz.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Maybe try creating an additional transition to Done for Sub-tasks and add a Condition to the transition for Issue Type = Sub-task. And then place the Deep Clone post function there.

Then update the existing transition to Done to add a condition for Issue Type != Sub-task. 

Would creating a transition to Done help here? I want to assign the sub-task to the user who has created the ticket because devs in my team like to create sub-tasks for themselves during meetings.
It happens before transitions to Done.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2020

Sorry, I posted that response in the wrong post.  :-(  Let me take another look here. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2020

Hi Kryzysztof,

Can you share the Automation rule that you have created so far? And also what it is not doing that you would like for it to do?

obraz.png

I tried something like that but it is not being executed. Tried to replace the condition with "Related issues condition" but with no success

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events