Automatically add tickets to a Release

Victoria Lee April 12, 2021

Assumptions: We will only have one release open at a time. 

Is it possible to automatically add jira tickets to an open release once the status of the ticket has been changed? I have a status called "Demo Ready", and once QA has moved the ticket to "Demo Ready" I would like the ticket to automatically be added to the most recent open release and add the version number to the ticket so that I don't have to go through the board to see which tickets are ready to go into the release since we do not do planned releases. 

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Victoria Lee 

I am assuming that you want to update the "Fix Version" for an issue which has been transitioned to the status "Demo Ready".

You can use the Jira Automation to do that.

You can use trigger as "Issue Transitioned".  Select To status as "Demo Ready" e.g.:

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 10.52.54 PM.png

And then Select Action as "Edit Issue" and set "Fix Version" as next unreleased version. e.g:

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 10.51.17 PM.png

Thanks!

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Something to consider with the Automation suggested by @Deepanshu Natani is what should happen if the issue regresses. Is it possible for an issue to go backwards from Demo Ready to an earlier status, and in that case should the issue be removed from the release? If so, you would need an additional automation rule for the transition from Demo Ready to the previous status (or statuses) that would clear the FixVersion field.

Thank you!

Like Melanie Ware likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events