Automatically add a watcher to an issue once the role is allocated to the project

Deleted user May 25, 2021

When I raise a Jira Ticket or as the ticket evolves into a project I have a number of resources that would be allocated to work on the ticket.  I want to automate a rule so that anyone assigned to a project are then added to a watch list.

I have fields that will be completed in the ticket to assign a Project Manager, BA, Business Partner etc and all these people need to be able to watch and get notifications as an issue is created, comments are added etc.  

How can I create this rule please?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021

Hi Clare,

Right off hand, I don't know a way of using automation to add people in project roles or groups as watchers - only individuals. 

Deleted user May 25, 2021

Thank you I cannot see how myself.  Or how to automate a notification for a person allocated to a ticket if they cannot be auto added as a watcher.

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2021

Hi @[deleted]

I'd like to see if I can help but I don't quite follow your scenario. Could you outline it for me in a bit more detail please?

Cheers,

Simeon.

Deleted user May 26, 2021

Good morning Simeon,

When a issue is created we add the summary and description of the ticket then we also have a number of roles/resources that are added who will work on the project.  BA/Project Manager/Service.  The fields are there when the issue is created but we would not always know who that person is at the time of creation and they could be added at anytime.  They may also change so may need the option to auto remove a watcher and add the new name.  I would like to create a rule that when a name is added to one of these roles they are automatically added to a watch list and therefore will get any notifications of updates on the project.  Is this possible?   

I can see in notifications I can add the field role however I don't think that relates direct to a specific ticket and would notify of any new issue raised.

Hope this helps?

Clare

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2021

Hi @[deleted]

So, if I read this correctly you'd like a trigger for one when someone is added to a role in Jira?

Cheers,

Simeon.

Deleted user May 27, 2021

Yes and then as a watcher they can see the updates as they happen

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

Hey @Simmo  - Thanks for chiming in here! I think that if there was a modification for selecting a Group or a Project Role in the Add Watchers new action instead of just individuals, that would take care of Clare's need. 

Simmo
Atlassian Team
May 27, 2021

Hey all,

@John Funk, it would I believe.

@[deleted] that suggestion by John is probably your best bet. We unfortunately don't have any way to trigger rules when someone is added to a role. I suspect that there isn't an event from Jira for this so there is no way we'd be able to do.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

@Simmo  - but that’s the problem - only individuals are available as watchers in the component action. We need you to add the ability to use groups and/or project roles 😊

Simmo
Atlassian Team
May 27, 2021

Oh gotcha, but in Jira you can add a project role as a watcher?

Deleted user May 28, 2021

Thank you both for your time.  Looks like its a manual add for now then.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

@Simmo  - No, that doesn't work either - you'll have to fix both.  :-p

Like Simmo likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders