Automatic update "Due date" which is a copy of a custom field in a parent/trigger issue

Jurgen Tyvaert August 26, 2022

Hello,

In order to maintain the correct deadlines in a project it is crucial that all the deadlines are managed at one central issue and all the related issues have the same deadlines. At the start of the project the Due date of every related issue is a copy of the dates defined in the central = parent issue. But when the project leader changes the deadline of one of the project phases, the due date of that specific project phase and all it subtasks, should automatically change to this new date.

I have tried to build something using the standard automation rules but i don't find the right solution. Can somebody help me out here?

Many thanks on advance.

Yours sincerely,

Jurgen Tyvaert

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi @Jurgen Tyvaert 

You'll need two rules for this because it is not possible to dynamically query for all linked issues and their sub-tasks in a single query.  Here's a quick overview of the rules:

1. Update all related issues - This will branch into all related issues and update the Due Date accordingly
  2. Update the sub-tasks of related issues - As the Due Date is updated on all related issues, it will branch into the sub-tasks and attempt to do the same.  

Rule #1

2022-08-26_08-00-20.jpg

Rule #2

2022-08-26_08-00-59.jpg

NOTE - For Rule #2 to trigger, you will need the Allow Rule Trigger checked:

2022-08-26_08-00-47.jpg

Jurgen Tyvaert August 29, 2022

Hi,

Rule 2 is working fine.

Rule 1 is clearing the due dates of all the related issues.

For Rule 1 i need to be a bit more specific. In the parent issue we use several dates:

date PVE vrijgave

date Concept vrijgave

date R&D vrijgave

Each "vrijgave" is a related issue. So i need to make an automation rule for each related issue with the specific "date xxx vrijgave" as trigger.

If someone changes one or more dates this needs to change the due date of the specific "vrijgave".

image.pngimage.png

Jurgen Tyvaert August 29, 2022

I found a solution using an extra condition "if project fase deadline equals" in stead of "if: linked issues match".

Like Mark Segall likes this
1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi Jurgen,

Can you share the automation rule that you have built so far? Also, what is not working with it?

Suggest an answer