Automatic Issue transition based on linked issue status

jonathan_ghellere May 17, 2021

Hello,

I'm trying to automate the following scenario.

I have a Jira project and I would like to build an project agnostic automation. This project which I will call "ProjA" will hold the automation for its issues based on the status of N projects issues, I will call these projects as "ProjN". It would be like "When a linked issue changes its state, change the state of my issue", but from ProjA perspective.

I would like to know if there's any way to do the following

1. ProjA has an Issue.
    - Issue 1
  2. We clone this ProjA issue to a new one and then we move this issue to the backlog/ToDo of ProjN. This is manual.
    - Issue 1 is cloned by Issue 2
  3. ProjA has an automation rule to check for the status of the "is cloned by" linked issue.
    - The rule says: "When Issue 2 changes its state to Done, transit the Issue 1 to Done."
  4. Then, the automation runs and the issue 1 in ProjA is transited to Done
    - Issue 2 is Done, then Issue 1 is Done as well.

Why am I doing the above instead of not creating the automation rule in ProjN?

Because I don't want to do any manual work when a project is deleted or a new one is created, I would like the rule to be agnostic. The link between ProjA and N Projects will be detected automatically by the link between the Issues.

I don't see any When trigger saying like:

"When: the linked issue transition to some status"

So, this, the scenario I just explained, is even possible?

Thx a lot! : )

3 answers

1 vote
sekhar reddy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2023

@jonathan_ghellere 

Use can try with JMWE plugin Transition Issue(s) Post-Function option to transition the current issues based on the Linked Issues transition. This Post-function has to added in the Linked Issues workflow

JMWE.PNG 

0 votes
wwalser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2021

I don't see any When trigger saying like:

"When: the linked issue transition to some status"

Google Chrome - Project automation - Code Barrel JIRA.gif

wwalser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2021

I have a Jira project and I would like to build an project agnostic automation.

Global rules can be configured from the global admin automation screen. Navigate to "Rule details" of a rule and look at the rule "Scope".

Like # people like this
jonathan_ghellere May 21, 2021

Thx for your answer @wwalser 
In your suggestion I would be creating a global rule including two or more known projects, so I would be basically including multiple projects inside the same automation. This means I need to:

1. include and understand the workflow of N projects to create the automation

2. Make sure the automation don't break other projects since I do not want the rule to exist globally, only for the projects where I moved my cloned issues.

3. Make sure I'm including new projects to my multi-project rules and so on..

I can't create a global(including all projects) rule or I would be overloading the jira instance. I would like to jira to keep track of the links between projects.

I basically just want to have an eye on the issues linked to my project's issues. Not caring about other projects workflows and ways of working.

wwalser
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2021

I appreciate the question and have tried to give an answer, however it seems to me that some of the requirements as stated are in contention with the only available methods of solving the problem. If all of the stated requirements are ridgid, I do not believe you'll be able to accomplish your goal.

You could listen for an 'cloned' issue link being created with a single project rule, no dramas there. However, you get into different waters with the next steps of the use-case:

3. ProjA has an automation rule to check for the status of the "is cloned by" linked issue.
- The rule says: "When Issue 2 changes its state to Done, transit the Issue 1 to Done."

4. Then, the automation runs and the issue 1 in ProjA is transited to Done
- Issue 2 is Done, then Issue 1 is Done as well.

There is no way to setup ongoing tracking of the newly created issue which may reside in a separate project without… listening to that separate project. This seems almost tautological.

I suppose I understand the premise of listening via the proxy of an issue link but that's just not the way that Jira works. Automation could present an abstraction which makes it appear that this is what we're doing, but under the covers it would be doing the exactly what you're opposed to doing: listening to all changes and checking if they link to issues within the project that we care about.

I can't create a global(including all projects) rule or I would be overloading the jira instance. I would like to jira to keep track of the links between projects.

It's possible that you have a very active jira instance and this is true, but I'd give it a try. A rule which listens to issue changes and immediately runs a condition to check its issue links should be relatively quick in the 99% case that there is no link which the rule cares about (and therefore ceases execution). 

1. include and understand the workflow of N projects to create the automation

This, again, seems obviously necessary in your initial problem statement. If creating a global rule which does nothing other than check issue links and transition statuses would… by its nature necessitate understanding the transition statuses of other projects. Perhaps I have misunderstood, but it seems that your use-case and the requirements for achieving said use-case are at odds with one another.

jonathan_ghellere May 24, 2021

Hello @wwalser 

I really appreciated your answer! Thx!

Also thx for confirming that it's not possible to have a trigger like condition to the linked issues of my stories without including the projects, specifically or globally, where the linked issues exist.

Jonathan Cothran June 3, 2022

I'm interested in the update issue based on linked issue. This doesn't need to be a global automation. Project level is fine as long as it can read status from an issue in another project. 

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021
jonathan_ghellere May 20, 2021

Hey @Brant Schroeder 

Thx for your answer.

Both solutions describe rules in the project ProjN, that's unfortunately not what I'm trying to achieve.

I would like to have automation in ProjA(a single, alone, project) that will be watching  for changes on its stories linked issues.

* ProjN can be any unknown project.

Like Andrew Smith likes this

Suggest an answer