Automated reports

Andrew Mirauta January 22, 2021

Good afternoon Atlassian community,

I have been poking around and asking questions about reports and JQL for the last few weeks, everyone's been super helpful and I'm starting to narrow down my options here. 

Another question I had is if there is a way (through basic Jira) to automate a repot --> chart function. I'm still tweaking stuff, so bear with me, but I've kind of landed on a Jira Cloud for Sheets JQL-->chart add-on. That is not yet automatic. 

That needn't be the way that this happens, but basically I'm looking to have a JQL go into a chart automatically. If we have to buy an add on as well so be it. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

Hi Andrew - are you talking about using Jira Cloud with Google Sheets? To confirm, that would be this add-on for Google Sheets, right?
https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/jira_cloud_for_sheets/1065669263016

I just installed it and it looks like you ought to be able to Schedule a regular import of a JQL query. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 5.23.46 PM.png

From there should be able to create a chart that points to that data (perhaps overcapturing rows to account for data that has not yet been added).

Please let me know if this helps, or if you're looking for something else.

I should also note that Jira has Dashboards that provide charts. They aren't "reports" per se (they can't be emailed, for instance), but many companies use Dashboards as default pages/landing pages (or displayed on big screens as "wallboards").

Hi @Darryl Lee  and thank you so much for your input!

Yes that would be an addon. I was wondering, just because the JQL pull is very comprehensive, if there is a way the sheets automatically do a pull and edit down some of the fields before automatically tossing it in chart form. So the fields we have would include the issue reporter, who is assigned, etc, whereas I just need the company that reported the issue (which is a sub field) and the the open closed status. Aka company A had 20 tickets, we closed 18. Company B had 16 tickets we closed 14 —> chart. 

I feel like that’s asking a lot and for that kind of automation I would probably have to purchase an add on in Jira. But it doesn’t hurt to ask. 

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

Oh hey, yeah, you can totally reduce the number of fields that the add-on imports from Jira.

You could do that in Jira first, by clicking on Columns. In my screenshot below, you'll see that I've named my filter "Minimal", and then only selected the fields Created, Status, and Summary.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 5.55.40 PM.png

When I then click "Open in Google Sheets", you'll see that only those three fields get imported:

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 5.57.30 PM.png

OR, if you already have a sheet if you want to add/remove other fields, you can use the Google Cloud for Sheets add-on in Google to do that:

menu.pngedit.png

comp.png

Then you just click Save, and the big GET ISSUES NOW button and boom, you'll get the new fields.

@Darryl Lee Ok, thanks. That makes sense, great suggestion! 

So now that I’ve done that and I import just the data I want on a regular basis, can I just make it all one scheduled step from JQL to graph?

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2021

Sure - if you create a chart in Google Sheet that points always at the same dataset (the sheet of Jira results), then the chart should automatically update whenever the scheduled import of data happens through the Google Cloud for Sheets add-on.

I think the best thing to do here is to play with it, and if you have problems, let us know.

Andrew Mirauta January 23, 2021

@Darryl Lee sounds good, thanks!

0 votes
Sai_ManageEngine_AnalyticsPlus
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2021

Hello Andrew,

Have you considered using the Analytics Plus app for Jira Software? The app features an AI-assistant that enables you to create reports using voice and text-based commands. You can use simple commands such as, 'Show me the workload distribution among all users?' to see a report like the one below.

0647e2ea-c105-4f43-b417-ba9983460513.png

You can make use of over 150 ready-to-use reports and dashboards built using industry-acclaimed KPIs for agile project management. You can also customize these reports if you want, or create one from scratch using the drag-and-drop report builder.

Disclaimer: I'm a product expert for Analytics Plus app.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223951

Andrew Mirauta March 3, 2021

I think I actually figured it out with google sheets, and the voice feature sounds like it would work for simple searches, as opposed to complex reports. Thanks for the idea though, I'll remember it in the future. 

0 votes
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 25, 2021

Hi @Andrew Mirauta

We develop an app called "Ronin Dashboards for Jira" where you can create a dashboard (or wallboard) and share it with your team. The gadgets have auto-refresh, so you could create your dashboard and add the JQL search gadget, which now, includes the ability to show the results of a JQL query in a chart of your choice (or in a table where you select the columns to be displayed):

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 18.26.06.png

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 18.25.59.png

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 18.25.42.png

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events