Automate Task Creation

Nandakumar Sakthivel December 27, 2020

Hi,

I am new to JIRA and need some help for achieving the below use case.

Requirement : We have 3 releases per year ( Spring, Summer and Winter) and we do support N-3 releases. If customer reports an issue in one of the supported version then the  fix needs to be back-ported/forward-ported based on current version.

Current Version ( to be released ) is Spring 21 and the supported version is Winter 20, Summer 20 and Spring 20

Use Case 1:  If customer reports an issue in Winter 20 version then fix needs to be ported to Spring 21, Summer 20 and Spring 20 versions

Use Case 2: If customer reports an issue in Spring 20 version then the fix needs to be ported to Summer 20, Winter 20 and Spring 21 versions

I want to automate the task creation for this process ( e.g., If a customer reports an issue in Winter 20 version then i need to create 3 porting tasks and porting task should have the corresponding version tagged  )

High Level Approach,

1. Define a global variable to hold the current version ( Spring 21 ) at that point of time ( I don't find an option to do this and able to see this in documentation )

2. If a customer reported issue is fixed on a particular version and closed then the automation task will be triggered

3. Action can be added in the Automation to Create Tasks ( N-3 ), All the tasks should be tagged for the appropriate versions ( like Winter20 , Summer21 )  based on the current version ( global variable ) 

I am not clear on how to achieve tagging version or updating title with version for the newly created tasks as some logic needs to be applied to determine N-3 releases based on current version. 

Can you please provide some guidance on this ?

Thanks !!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

Hi @Nandakumar Sakthivel 

Ok interesting use case. In short I would say it is bit too much to do with automation rule but you can still do few things.

1. I don't think there is a way to create global variable, so either you hard code the version to be checked or may be store it somewhere on an issue in a custom field.
  2. Create a rule with a condition that whenever a new bug is raised with version "Version X" then create one or multiple issue and set the fix versions in your rule.

There are things like Last released version and Next unreleased version that might help but I think overall you have to manually update the rule from time to time (I guess once a year) to update the versions.

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 11.22.34.pngApart from this, I was also thinking that if your versions are managed somewhere else as well, like your code repository then you can also trigger your automation rules using webhooks, that might be a better option in case you want dynamic rules that you don't want to update from time to time.

Ravi

Nandakumar Sakthivel December 28, 2020

Hi @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_   Thanks for the response.

"Create a rule with a condition that whenever a new bug is raised with version "Version X" then create one or multiple issue and set the fix versions in your rule"

Only issue with the above approach is , I need to change the rules whenever a new version is released ( 3 times in a year )

Is Variable of any use here ? Once I determine the current version using some custom field then can I use three different variables to hold N-3 release versions dynamically

image.png

- Can we extract the variable values and use it for task creation ? ( Append the variable value in the Task header )

- If current version is Spring 21 then I need to extract the numeric portion of this version and Decrement the Numeric ( 21 ) year number and Release name. ( Not sure on whether this logic can be done via configuration )

Can you please provide some details/documentation reference on how web hooks can be used 

Thanks

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2020

I will check this and get back to you on this.

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2020

Hi @Nandakumar Sakthivel 

I never tried using variable. They work like any other smart value. this is what I was able to do.

Create variables 

{{previousVersion}}

{{currentVersion}}

{{nextVersion}}

with values

October20
January21
March21

You can get the last 2 characters, convert it to number and perform mathematical operations.

{{currentVersion.right(2).asNumber.minus(1)}}

will give you 20.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Nandakumar Sakthivel January 10, 2021

Thanks @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_  for your input. I am going with the original suggested approach of creating three different automation rules.

Need input on the below ,

JIRA Workflow is , When the development is completed then the issue will be assigned to a Reviewer for code review and then will be assigned to QA for testing. We are creating sub-tasks ( porting the code fix to supported version ) using JIRA Automation when the issue is ASSIGNED TO QA and the sub-tasks needs to be assigned to the original developer.

I don't have the developer details when the ticket is assigned to QA ( As the assignee will be the code reviewer ) , Developer Name needs to be stored in a custom field and the same value needs to be fetched and assigned for the sub-tasks using automation

I am cloning to create sub-task , once the sub-task is created then I need to fetch the value from the custom field and use it as an Assignee for the newly created sub-tasks. I don't see an option to select the custom field in the below flow

00 Clone issue.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events