Auto transition parent issue when all subtasks are completed only works from the sprint board UI

Deleted user March 1, 2021

Hello,

I am using jira automation to automatically transition parent issues to done when all of the subtasks have been completed. However, I have found it only works when you drag and drop the last sub-task to done from the sprint board UI.

Meaning this automation does not work when I use the UI in the last sub-task ticket to change the status from in progress to done. I assume this is because when you use the drag and drop method there is a modal that appears asking if you would like to mark the parent issue as done. 

Our engineers typically work out of the task tickets and forcing them to drag the final task to done is a bit counterintuitive.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hello @[deleted] 

Welcome to the community.

When you say you are "using jira automation" what exactly do you mean? Are you using the Automation feature to set up a rule to transition the parent issue? If so, please provide the details of the rule you have set up in the Automation feature.

Hello @Trudy Claspill ,

Thanks for the quick response. I am using the automation feature. I got the automation from the library of the feature. I've attached a screenshot of the rule configuration below.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 2.30.33 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Can you confirm that the automation rule is running when you execute the transition of a sub-task to Done? Are the runs of the rule showing up in the Automation Audit Log? Are there any errors reported in those audit log entries?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

Please consider adding a condition after the trigger, checking that the issue type is a Sub-Task.  Otherwise other issues could attempt to process this rule.

You may see that in the example rule I believe you are following from the library:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/140671

Best regards,

Bill

@Trudy Claspill The only entries are configuration changes from when I added the rule and made small changes to attempt to troubleshoot the rule. I do not see any success or failure entries.

@Bill Sheboy 

hi Bill, thank you for the suggestion. Wouldn't the component that is checking the sub-task status suffice for this since it is only running the check on sub-tasks? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just trying to understand.

The desired outcome is that any issue (bug, story, etc) that has subtasks should auto transition when all of its subtasks have been completed.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

I have been able to replicate the behavior. And I did add the condition after the initial trigger @Bill Sheboy  to confirm the triggering issue is a Sub-task.

The rule is getting no audit log entries, like it is never being triggered.

I confirmed that I had the rule added to the correct project. My workflow is open to allow issues to transition from any status to any status. And I do have the status named "Done". I also have other status values in the same project that are also part of the Done Status Category. I wonder if that makes a difference.

@[deleted] Do you have more than one Status value that is part of the Done Status Category?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2021

Hi, Nick. 

To confirm: is this a Classic or Next-Gen project?

Looking at your rule trigger, any issue can trigger that and then try to branch on the Parent.  The extra condition ensures your rule bails out (or continues) as expected as soon as possible.

@Bill Sheboy Hi Bill, this is a classic project. I'll add the confirmation as you suggested to be safe.

@Trudy Claspill I am fairly certain I only have one Done status, how can I confirm this from my end. And just to make sure I understand your point, you are also running into this issue on your end?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

@[deleted] 

Look at the Board Settings > Columns and see if there is more than one status that is colored green. They may all be in your Done column or you might find them in other columns or in the Unmapped Statuses area.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 5.21.09 PM.png

@Trudy Claspill 

There is only one status in that column, which is the one I am using with this automation rule.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

Given that I was able to replicate what you are seeing @[deleted] , it seems to me like this is a bug in the JIRA Cloud platform. I recommend you open a support ticket with Atlassian to report the issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events