Auto time tracking when viewing an issue

Marc D Behr June 10, 2020

We recently noticed that when somebody opens an issue in Jira, the time tracking starts automatically. Previously (last week) when a user opened an issue, they would need to click the start button if they wanted time tracking to start, but now it appears that anytime anybody opens an issue, the tracking starts immediately. 

This is throwing off time reports as a user may open an issue to to read it and now it shows that they were working it despite just wanting to see what is upcoming.

Is there a way to disable this?

1 answer

0 votes
Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2020

Hi Marc,

Sorry, this is not possible to disable it yet, and actually our intention is not to make this possibility, but make sure this feature is useful and not annoying.

So could you please clarify what do you mean by "throwing off time reports"?

The idea is that these records are not saved automatically, and can be ignored, or viewed in Time Entry report for all issues, and then saved if desired by suer.

Thank you.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2020

@Andriy Zhdanov What addon app is this?

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2020

Time Reports or Timesheet Reports and Gadgets (Tempo Extended Reports on Marketplace)

Marc D Behr June 10, 2020

Hi Andriy,

One of my users pointed this out to me yesterday and I did see that when I opened an issue that the timer was running. If the times are not automatically being saved (I admit that I did not check this), then this should not be an issue. 

But. I did notice when I just looked at my timesheet (time entry), it shows all of the time that I spent looking at issues (and since I left my screen open overnight looking at an issue, this morning it shows 16.61h of time spent on it). Every issue that I viewed (even if for a few minutes), appears to be logged in my time timesheet. Is this the expected behavior?

4BC9C711-CD1C-4A19-B9D4-B50A76559886.jpg?

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2020

Hi Marc,

We have slightly improved it, so that only entries for today are displayed, thus it should be less annoying. Please let us know if it's good enough.

Thank you.

Marc D Behr June 11, 2020

I am still trying to understand the logic behind starting the timer anytime a user simply opens an issue to review it. I personally prefer the user needing to click the start button if they are going to actually be working on the issue.

Was this a request that you received from the community to provide this feature? If so and the majority of your users prefer this, then I can understand your making the change, but otherwise I am wondering how other users feel about this change (and until we saw it, I did not see any documentation that the change was coming.. did I simply miss it (which I admit is possible)).

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2020

Hi Marc,

I should admit we were just trying to make logging work easier. There was no particular request, or no other feedback. And I personally prefer clicking start button too, but my colleague made this feature.

Announcements can be seen by clicking question mark in report and opening What's New link: https://primetimesheet.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/blog/

Note, we used to have somewhat similar feature (Suggested Hours): https://primetimesheet.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/blog/2020/04/01/1040121857/Suggested+hours+update. And now looks like these two features do the same thing. So we probably will do it optional.

Thank you.

Marc D Behr June 11, 2020

Hey Andriy,

Looking at https://primetimesheet.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/blog/2020/06/09/1235877889/Start+work+automatically it sounds like I might be able to disable time logging completely (not what I want to do), for a group of people but not just the autostart feature, is that correct?

What I think would be a better option would be an option on each Project to autostart start work time, so the admin can configure what works best for each project. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Marc

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2020

Hi Marc,

Correct.

So we’ve just made it disabled by default, but you may need to remove created entries, though not required, they are just in browser cache, not in Jira.

Note, automatic entries will still be created in case of In Progress Issues configured in app Configuration.

Hope this is fine.

Thank you.

Marc D Behr June 12, 2020

Thanks Andriy. While I am not opposed to the idea of auto time tracking, making it a configurable option would be great. Thanks for the quick turn around on this.

Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2020

Hi Marc,

Do you mean that In Progress Issues option is not enough? I.e. do you think you need separate option to enable automatic tracker, so that you can use In Progress Issues without automatic tracking?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events