Auto-labelling issues based on current Board view

Kenneth Lau July 20, 2021

Is there a way to auto-label newly created issues, based the Board that's currently in view? ie:

1. user creates issue

2. if issue is being created on Board A

3. then apply labels "a" "b" "c" to this issue

2 answers

1 vote
Ashu Tyagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2021

@Kenneth Lau  Issues which are displayed on board are based on certain queries using which boards are created. Those queries would have something Unique in them which makes them different from other board.

Now if you are using Jira Cloud then you can set up automation rules which will automatically add labels to issue. Here in condition part you can mention the JQL of the boards so based on which board they go they will get respective labels. 

I hope you are not using boards to display data from multiple projects, If so then you have to create automation rules in all those projects 

Kenneth Lau July 20, 2021

@ASHU TYAGI thanks for the quick response.

I am indeed using boards as sub-projects, and would like different labels for these sub-projects.

I have already set an automation rule for auto-labelling issues created under the Project, and was wondering if the same can be done for sub-projects (boards). From your answer, it seems like there's no native function to do so. In your opinion, would writing a script to implement this function be possible? ie. if (user creates issue) AND (the page is displaying Board A), then (apply these labels)

Like Mark Brown likes this
Ashu Tyagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2021

@Kenneth Lau  Jira cloud already have an inbuild project automation feature in it, and you would be using certain queries to display data on different boards inside same project. I was saying use that same query in project automation "Condition" and the automation rule would look something like below

Trigger = Issue Created

Condition = JQL = JQL of your board

Action = Edit Issue = Edit Labels

This way this automation would only work on Issues which will fall under a certain board after they are created, you can create multiple automation for multiple boards

Kenneth Lau July 21, 2021

But my Boards are filtered using labels.

When an issue is created, the "labels" field is inherently empty; so, by making an automation to compare my Board's JQL with the issue, would be comparing Board_labels with an empty field of labels, so there would never be a match.

To help you better understand my problem, my current setup for Project One is:

query for Board A: (project = ONE AND labels = "board_a")

query for Board B: (project = ONE AND labels = "board_b")

Based on the above, what I want is, if I create an issue while Board A is in view, the issue automatically applies the label "board_a", just as I can automatically apply a label, to any issue created under Project One.

Like # people like this
Ashu Tyagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2021

@Kenneth Lau  You Using "Create" button at top to raise tickets rights? 

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2021

Hi @Kenneth Lau

while it is possible to assign a special label when an issue is created in a certain project there is no possibility (not aware of anything and did not encounter it in the past here in Community) to set a label based on creation through a special board.

A board (Scrum/Kanban) is just another way of viewing issues (those are just selected by filters, not much magic in here).

From what I learned from your requirement and what was understood so far probably you can still use the Automation Ashu recommended. Labeling the issues accordingly, let's say with label "board_a" to let them show up in Board A - you would need to label the issues accordingly (as no automation is there to reflect "it was created through Board A so I set label board_a").

In the end of course you're ready to display all issues you want to on a board (by using the boards filter - if not even already the case).

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events