Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Auto adding bugs and grouping similar ones

Hi,

Looking for a way to open bugs automatically (via trigger) and to add any future identical bug as a sub task.

So for example i have a notification that says "device X disconnected". If that notification came in and there is no open bug reg device X, i want a new bug to be created. If there's already a ticket about it, I want to create a subtask\some other field in the existing bug.

Eventually i would like to see a list of bugs with a counter of how many times they've happened (and the time and date of each one) so i can prioritize it.

Any idea where i can start looking?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes

Hello @Dor Avitan

Thank you for reaching out.

You can set your Jira cloud to create tickets from external notification/trigger by easily configuring your email handler. You can check the instructions to do that in the documentation below:

Create issues and comments from email 

Now, the challenge here would be to automatically identify the issue summary and check against existing issues.

If you know the exact references/keywords to compare, you could use an automation rule to check for Keywords, properly linking them to a known existing issue. These would be the steps:

1. Create/choose an issue to be the "parent" of each keyword
  2. Navigate to your project > Project settings > Automation
  3. Create a rule to check the summary field for the keyword, properly linking the issues to the parent if that keyword matches:
    Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 18.39.25.png
  4. Configure a condition for each keyword you have

Following those steps, you should be able to configure a JQL query to return the list of issues for each keyword you have.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,567 views 37 45
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you