Auto-Assign User not assigning correctly

Boris Kravchenko April 29, 2021

I am trying to set up an automation rule to set assignee to the user who creates a branch in bitbucket. 

My rule is shown in the image. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 1.30.11 PM.png

When a branch is created. The user is Automation for Jira and not myself. Why does Jira think at Automation for Jira is the user? Could other automation rules be conflicting with this one?

1 answer

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

I'm not quite clear what you see as the problem. Some actions will result in "Automation for Jira" being seen as the user.

Do you have other automation rules which might be creating the branch that is triggering this rule?

If so, then the "Automation for Jira" user is the "User who triggered the event", and would end up as the Assignee.

If that doesn't explain this situation, then perhaps you can clarify what you expect, and what you're seeing. Information from the Audit Log when this rule runs might be helpful too.

Thanks for the reply. 

I expect to see myself as the person who created the branch. As I am the one who actually clicked to create branch.  There is no automation to create a branch, so it is not Automation for Jira that did so. 

This is the Audit Log for the rule to Assign user:

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 2.53.51 PM.png

There are a couple of automation rules in place as per the below: 

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 2.54.38 PM.png

- Add build info adds a comment on the build status

- In Progress on Branch Create transitions the issue to In Progress. 

- Auto Assign Test is the one I am asking about. 

If one of the first two change the user to Automation for Jira, then how can I work around that? What are the actions that will cause the user to be changed to Automation for Jira, where is that documented? 

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

There's nothing inherent in Automation that will assign an issue. It would be explicit in a rule. So maybe review all the other rules you listed to see if any of them are assigning the issue.

It's also possible to assign an issue as part of the workflow. So you might also want to review the Post Functions in the workflow(s) for anything related to assigning. There are several "Assign to" post functions that could be in play, completely separate from Automation.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Your first reply said that some rules cause the user to be seen as Automation for Jira, but not you are saying a user has to be explicitly set in a rule. 

There are no other rules that are assigning issues to anyone. This is the first and only rule that has Assign To functionality.  No automatic assignments were happening prior to trying this rule. 

Post Functions are doing the same thing in that, no assignment was happening but now Automation for Jira is being assigned to.  The behavior between automation and Post Functions seems to be identical. 

I opened a ticket with support directly for better clarification. 

Thank you. 

Like Mykenna Cepek likes this
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2021

Like you, I'm frustrated when I feel like I'm missing something, and can't get it to Just Work. Would love to hear back (here) with what you figure out!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events