Authorization to only delete the sub-tasks

Serban Mihai - Daniel March 22, 2019

I want to delete sub-task in Jira but I don't have the rights to do so .... The administrator says that if I get the rights to delete sub-tasks I will also be able to delete epics and other stuff and this will create problems for audits and stuff ... Is there a way to get authorization to only delete the sub tasks and nothing else ?  

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2019

Hello,

It is not possible out of the box. Your Jira Administrator is correct.

So there is no workaround for this ?  When you say out of the box do you mean that it could be done using some sort of extension ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2019

yes. don't delete stuff...bad idea. Simply move to Done and use the Resolution to indicate "won't do", "unnecessary" or whatever resolution value makes sense to you. Talk to your admin about adding a resolution code to meet these needs.

Ok thanks for the help :) 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2019

The technical answer is that it is actually possible to do this, but

a) It's horrible to set up and maintain, and only works for certain types of project.  You have to have at least two workflows in every project, and one of those workflows has to have every step edited, and every time an admin adds a new step they need to remember to add a workflow property that says "delete not possible"

b) I am going to repeat what the others have said - do not delete issues, it *will* hurt you, badly.

Serban Mihai - Daniel March 26, 2019

ok. thanks for the help :) 

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2019

Agree with Jack - we NEVER delete tickets. We use the status of Discarded with a resolution of Obsolete if the issue was never worked on (never left Backlog). Or we use Aborted, also with resolution of Obsolete, if the issue was started but it was decided it was not going to be done. 

We use those even if it is a duplicate issue or a mistake of even creating it. 

Ok thank you for the help :) 

Suggest an answer