Associating Epics with Versions?

I was excited when I saw that JIRA has Versions, as I thought they were one step higher in the hierarchy after Epics.  I thought the relationship would be that Stories are assigned to Epics, and Epics are assigned to Versions.  It seemed a good way to keep track without just throwing a ton of Stories into a Version.

However... I don't see a way to associate Epics with Versions.  They just stay in their column.  I can drag and drop Stories onto Versions... but not Epics. 

How does that make sense?  What good is the Epic if you can't use it to organize Stories in the Agile Board view?  

2 answers

To associate an Epic with a version, it's true that you can't drag and drop it in the Version tab, but that's just one of the ways of assigning a version. If you make sure that in the Screen Scheme used by Epics, the Affects Version field is present for the Edit operation, you can just edit the Epic and select a value from the available versions.

Ideally, to do this in as few steps as possible, you should select a version at the creation of the Epic, again, provided your Screen Scheme displays this field on Create.

You can also do a Bulk Change if you're in the Issues view to quickly set several Epics to a given version.

As you see, you have several options to assign a version to an Epic.

Hope this helps!

0 vote
Christian Roestel Community Champion May 09, 2015

To add a version to an epic,  simply edit the epic.  If the fixVersion is missing check with your admin to see if it is part of your screen scheme.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,194 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you