Associate score points to each status of an issue's workflow

lucale July 3, 2021

Hi guys,

I would like to assign for some columns of the workflow a score when a issue is in the backlog list.

The states of the issue could be carrying out by different resources.

I report here below an example of what I'm intending:

• Issue 1
    • state "testing" performed by resource A -> 1 point
    • state "done" performed by resource B -> 3 points
  • Issue 2
    • state "testing" performed by resource C -> 2 points
    • state "done" performed by resource A -> 5 points

My idea is tracking automatically, month by month, the amount of points for each resource, so in the example we'd have:

• Resource A: 6 points
  • Resource B: 3 points
  • Resource C: 2 points

How could I do this? Do you recommend a Kanban board or a Scrum board?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2021

Hi @lucale ,

Thanks for posting your query.

The idea of using Kanban or Scrum board depends on the nature of your work.

In simple terms, if your team is working on Sprints then you are supposed to use Scrum Board and if your team is focusing and managing through work-in-progress then they should use Kanban Board. 

If you would like to know in details, please go through this -https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-board/.

In order to use the correct workflow, please go through this - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/what-are-jira-workflows/.

If you like to calculate the points as described above, I think it can be using JQL and creating a filter to find the effort month wise on basis on weightage through some custom fields .

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Suvradip

lucale July 4, 2021

Hi @Suvradip Paul 

thank you for your answer.

I suppose that it's best for me the use of the Scrum Board, because each activity lasts a maximum time of 1 month.

It's a bit uncomfortable compared to the Kanban Board, because I have to create a sprint of each activity, if I understood well, didn't I?

I have other two questions for you:

• what do you mean with work-in-progress? I suppose I'll be able to see the issues grouped into the "to-do", "done" or "in progress" list in a Scrum Board too, correct?
  • considering that I'm a newbie of Jira, I don't know how to use JQL for my purpose. Do you think that I can consider the "story point" option?

Best regards

Luca

PS: the second link you posted doesn't work

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2021

Hi @lucale ,

Thanks for your response.

If you are actively working in Sprints then definitely you should go with Scrum.

Now, let me try to answer your queries,

I am really sorry that 2nd link(i.e. Jira Workflows in my last post) was broken while trying to copy and paste here in this community post. Could you please try this again for Jira Workflows - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/what-are-jira-workflows/

I hope that answers all of your queries.

Cheers

Suvradip

Suggest an answer