Associate Issue Security Scheme for existing project with issues around 215000

Kapil Bolli
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 24, 2018

Hello,

We are having a Jira version 6.4 and a project having issues   215000.

We have created a Issue Security Scheme - with one level - for a specific role.

After creating scheme, when trying to associate the scheme to the project, Jira gets stuck in associating issues screen  and there are no errors or security being in-progress on the issues in the logs.

I have tried waiting for around 8 hours and the associating page is still loading , I suppose Jira is not performing any action in background, as when i click cancel , it immediately comes back to the project screen, with the security scheme not being associated.

I am not seeing any timeout error like this - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-43038 

Any thoughts on how to associate security scheme for existing project with large issues

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2018

Hello Kapli,

You can set the Issue security level directly in the database, Generally Direct DB modification is not recommended unless you can verify the change is safe, but I can verify this one is safe from extensive testing I performed when writing up that BUG you noted.  But any time a Direct DB update is done make sure to to shut down the instance before running the update and take a DB backup incase an error does occur.  

Its always a good idea to do a test run in a Staging Server prior to going live in prod as well.

So, the Bulk opperation to assign the security level is timing out in the background as covered in the Bug and cannot complete the full association due to the number of issues you are applying this too.

And since we know that the security level is good on the issues you have applied it to and you are not getting locked out as covered in the KB linked to the bug:

You could do the opposite of the Query in the KB setting the security to the ID in the database rather than clearing it out by setting it to NULL. You will need the Project ID and the Issue Security level ID to do this

So to look up the Security scheme ID you can use the following Query or navigate to the edit screen of the security scheme in the instance settings and look at the URL for "&schemeId=#####":

select * from issuesecurityscheme;

To find the project ID, or again in instance look at:

select * from project;

Then Verify this is the one you have set on the issues currently via

SELECT security FROM jiraissue where project = **put Project here** and security is not null group by security;

You should only see one value returned matching the issuesecurityscheme ID from the query above.

Then while jira is offline, Update the security level on the issues using the ID from the issuesecurityscheme and project:

UPDATE jiraissue SET security = **Put issuesecurityschemeID here** WHERE project = **put Project here**;

Restart and re-index and you should be all set.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer