Assigning a ticket to a team - not to a person

Deleted user March 16, 2021

Good morning Team,

I hope you are well.

Recently, we noticed that we had a lot of tickets with the status "Processing" (picture 1). Because of this, we have implemented a new automatic rule (picture 2):

When a ticket has been in Processing status for more than three days, the status automatically changes to Waiting answer. Not only that, the ticket is assigned to the ticket originator and an automatic ticket is added informing that action needs to be taken.
Currently, this functionality seems to be working correctly.

However, every department must take ownership of their own tickets, and SLAs should always be met. Therefore, I would like to know if it would be possible to assign the ticket automatically to a department, and not to the ticket creator (a member of a department).

Could you kindly tell me if this is possible? And if so, could you tell me how I can do it?

Thank you very much in advance for your attention! 

KR,

1.PNG2.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

You could consider leaving unassigned but have a custom field or use Components for your teams/departments. Then have your teams/departments create boards/filters/dashboards for their specific areas. BTW, it certainly seems odd that the ticket would be assigned to the originator as a general rule but I don’t really know your situation either.

Good morning Jack,
First of all, thank you very much for your help!

I am sorry for having explained myself incorrectly. By default, the ticket is not assigned to the person who created it. I get several options (photo 1), but among them, I would not know which one to choose to be notified that the ticket is still pending - please note that I am a beginner so I am sorry for the innocent question.

1.PNG

On the other hand, if I don't assign the ticket to anyone, I wouldn't know how to add the component you mentioned previously (photo 2).

2.PNG

Thank you very much in advance!

KR,

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

Thanks for the additional details Martina. First I have removed the Accepted answer here since you don’t have your final answer yet. It seems to me that this is a process/training issue for the team but I might be misunderstanding. You mention in the original post about automatically assigning to a group. Certainly you can auto assign issues to a user but you subsequent post seems to indicate not knowing who to assign the issue to. So the first question is do you have some field in you issues that can be used for this purpose? That aside, your teams should have a process for triaging new issues and assigning them. Note that Components are a good way to auto assign issues as you can define a component lead and set them as the default assignee. The key to success here is exposing the Component field on the creat screen. Of course the users creating issues must understand the components and which one to choose.

Like Deleted user likes this

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for your help and input.

I understand the need to clarify at a personal and team level the correct procedure and flow of escalations.
What I wanted to know is if when implementing the automatic rule for tickets in "processing" status it is possible to assign it automatically to a team in Waiting answer status. I understand that in order to be able to carry out this action, I have to take into account the components.

However, right now the tickets - after three days - are assigned to the person who created the ticket. They are assigned this way because I have created this rule and because I am not able to assign it to the specific department. But because I need to notify someone, I prefer to notify the creator of the ticket rather than anyone else.

And this is my question - whether it is possible to assign the ticket to a department in the automation rule. When we create tickets, fill in the components (photo - example), and assign the ticket to a department, but when we try to modify the rule - it does not allow us to assign it to the department.

I am sorry to have inconvenienced you.

Thank you very much in advance.

KR,

jia.PNGto

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2021

"can i assign an issue to a department?" - No. In Jira issues are assigned to a single user. 

There are quite a few posts discussing the reasons for this, the reasons folks want it and some work-arounds. Such as...

One consideration, you could have your IT department create an email account that represents a team (distribution list) and you could use that email to create a "User" in Jira. There are a few downsides to this. One of which is never really knowing who in the team might have added a comment or otherwise actioned an issue.

Note: you continue to reference "department" so I'm guessing maybe you have a custom field for this. Department isn't a system default field. 

Like Deleted user likes this

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for your assistance. Understood!

I will proceed to read other posts for information.

Have a great day!

KR.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events