Assign task in Jira Cloud who doesn't have access to project?

Andrei Muravlyov March 12, 2020

Hey guys! Jira Cloud!

How i can assign task who don't have access to project, but have access to Jira System?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2020

Hello Andrei,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

To allow users to assign issues without giving them a license to the specific product, you need to add them to a role or permission scheme.

If it's a next-gen project, go to Project settings > Access > Manage roles > Create role. Add a name and a description and select the permission "Assign any issue".

After that, add the users one by one or add a group to this role for them to have access to the issues in the project.

If it's a classic project, you can go to Project settings > Permissions and add the person or group to "Browse projects", "Assignable user" and "Assign issues" permissions.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Andrei Muravlyov March 16, 2020

Thank you!

But what about next gen project? 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2020

@Andrei Muravlyov, I mentioned about next-gen on my answer as well. I edited and added a bold text to get easier to find.

Like Andrei Muravlyov likes this
Andrei Muravlyov March 17, 2020

Its cool, thank you.

But user with permission "Assign any issue" will see every task in backlog in this project. Am i right? 

So, can i make some permission like "Assign any issue", where user can see only task (where that user is consists like Watchers or assigned. 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2020

They will be able to see all issues, it's not possible to restrict by issue type.

Andrei Muravlyov March 19, 2020

I see. 

Not even in classic project? Or in server version?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 20, 2020

In Classic or Server, it's possible to restrict using Issue Security where you can add a security level to restrict some issues to some group or roles.

This feature is currently not available for next-gen projects.

- Configuring issue-level security 

If you don't want to use issue security, you can use the workaround below:

- How to allow a user to see specific tickets w/o issue security 

Like Andrei Muravlyov likes this
Whitney Patterson April 26, 2022

I am trying to do this for Jira Service Management and it doesn't work. The user is added with proper role and permission scheme configuration and still receiving an error that the user cannot be assigned issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events