Askpass unable to start correctly

Tomasz Kotula January 20, 2020

Every half an hour or so I get the following error:

askpass_error.png

Google told me it's related to Atlassian.

I ran Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool as recommended by Windoze, but to no avail.

Anyone knows how to solve it - as it's a pain having to keep clicking OK to close it.

Thanks a lot.

17 answers

4 votes
Tomasz Kotula February 10, 2020

It's still happening to me (only while Sourcetree is running). Can someone chime in?

3 votes
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2020

Hi @Tomasz Kotula 

I am unsure how a web product (Jira Cloud) can cause such an error in a desktop application (Askpass.exe).

Can you link that article from Google that says this error is related to Atlassian products?

Tomasz Kotula January 20, 2020

Sorry my bad. It's caused by Sourcetree. I'm running V3.3.4 and as soon as I closed it the error stopped happening.

Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2020

Oh okay, I am not much familiar with Sourcetree. Lets wait if someone else is aware of this issue.

hwzhao February 10, 2020

i met the same error, who can help this? thanks!

Edwin Teisman July 17, 2020

I have the exact same error.

2 votes
cuzzlor June 24, 2020

Never ending stupid message it just doesn't ffn stop

2 votes
Kelly Wahl April 22, 2020

I don't know if this helps anyone but I was having the same problem. One of my remote repository's token had expired. Whenever SourceTree was trying to refresh the remote status that Askpass.exe exception would come up. When I found the culprit repo, I forced a connection (i.e. push or pull) which then prompted the Github login box where I entered my username and password which refreshed the remote's token. The dialog box was gone after that.

1 vote
OmiCron07 February 24, 2020

I have the same problem for many weeks, dozens of times an hour.

1 vote
Phillip Norman February 24, 2020

A colleague of mine is also suffering from this irritation. He's using version 3.3.7 of Sourcetree. The dialog pops up periodically whilst he is running Sourcetree. The issue suddenly started occurring last week.I am aware that you don't have much interest in Sourcetree Atlassian, but could you please investigate this?

1 vote
Quan Nguyen February 15, 2020

It's also happening to me for a while now.

Quan Nguyen February 24, 2020

Okay my issue has gone recently after > 6 months. This is my story:

- I copied and pasted a project from one of my teammates. That included .git folder, not just code files.

- I opened SourceTree and .. probably changed the credential somehow but I don't remember exactly.

- Then, this issue became consistent since then.

- I closed that project by clicking on the tab in SourceTree and Closed it. The issue was still there.

- 2 years ago, I deleted that project from the file system. The issue has gone.

I don't know for sure if this scenario caused the issue but this is what I experience.

0 votes
Mark Emerson November 23, 2020

same error after trying (and failing) to replace the username/password with PAT (personal access tokens)

tried deleting the sourcetree password file - no joy

cannot get remote repos after entering the new PAT as the password - credentials fails and now the askpass.exe failure message pops up constantly.

SOLVED

choosing oauth option instead of basic takes you to a web page. enter your github password and click the authorise button.

0 votes
Vincent Boutot October 13, 2020

I have the same error and this is very anoying!

0 votes
Lela Kaunitz April 9, 2020

It started happening to me yesterday, and continues even after uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling, restarting...

0 votes
mrigon April 6, 2020

Almost 3 months have gone by and no official comment from Atlassian team...

I have the same issue happening over here and I have tons of repositories in my PC with no clue to which one may be the source if any.

0 votes
Reza March 19, 2020

It started happening to me today out of nowhere.  using 3.3.6. Says the is the latest version so not sure how some have 3.3.8

0 votes
Phillip Norman February 28, 2020

As for Michael_Jan_Gaabucayan, my colleague installed 3.3.8, and the issue has not occurred again since. This may or may not work for others having the same problem. It seems that Atlassian don't care about it otherwise they would be commenting here.

Tomasz Kotula March 1, 2020

A few days ago I installed 3.3.8 but unfortunately the fault is still happening.

Atlassian can you respond please.

0 votes
OmiCron07 February 27, 2020

I fixed the problem by re-checkout the git repo.

0 votes
Michael Jan Gaabucayan February 27, 2020

still persists in version 3.3.8

0 votes
davcup February 24, 2020

It's happening to me too

Suggest an answer