As a Project Adminstrator role, I can Create Sprint, I cannot manage a Sprint - Delete or Complete

Dave Floress June 28, 2021

Hi,

As a Project Administrator role, I can Create Sprint, I cannot manage a Sprint - Delete or Complete. I'm also the on-site admin.

Any thoughts? Below are project/system characteristics:

Thanks in Advance

• Jira version is 7.5.0 & 8.13.5 (happens in both versions)
  • Jira is on-prem
  • For all Sprint stories, they are in the same Project - I'm in the Project Admin role for that Project. I can even remove all stories in the Sprint - still cannot manage the sprint
  • The project's Permission scheme is set up - Manage Sprints, Project Role - Administrator & Groups - site admin. I'm in both roles.
  • Board is simple Filter, not complex - "Project = XYZ ORDER BY Rank ASC"
  • Board Configuration, Projects in Board only has the one Project (the one I'm Project Administrator role)

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Floress June 29, 2021

What it ended up being, was a mistake on my end - I was trying to manage the Sprint from the Backlog view on the board (where you can see the Active Sprint), not the actual Active Sprint view on the board. I've been using Kanban boards for so long, I must have forgotten the Scrum boards.

0 votes
Answer accepted
shruti gupta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2021

Agree with Trudy .You should have manage sprint permission to manage the sprint .

Also,the Project Role (Administrator & Groups - site admin) is the role mapping to the 'Manage Sprints' permission here.

Please check if that role is added into the Setting-->Users and group and users added into it.

You can also cross check by using the permission helper by navigate to Administration > System > Admin Helper > Permission Helper or type 'gg' and search for "Helper" in order to find the permission helper.

Thanks for the suggestion Shruti. As I indicated in Trudy's reply, it was a mistake on my part. I had actually tried the Permission Helper previous to my post, and I did have Manage Sprint permissions.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Hello @Dave Floress 

Welcome to the Community.

In order to be able to manage sprints (start them and complete them) you must have the Manage Sprints permission in all projects for which issues from the project are within the sprint.

It is possible in Jira for issues to be added to a sprint even if the issues are not in the board where the sprint was created, through direct editing of the Sprint field in an issue. I've seen this happen often when Sprint names were duplicated (Jira doesn't prohibit that) or where sprint names were not specific enough for a user to know who owns the sprint. Also, when editing the Sprint field directly, Jira will show all sprints, not just sprints from your board.

To find out if there are issues in your sprint that actually belong to a different project, go to the Search Issues screen and do a search for all issues in your sprint. As you type in your sprint name (i.e. Sprint 1), the filter will show you possible matches for what you are typing, and that will also alert you if there is another sprint with the same name as yours.

Check the results of the search for issue that are not in your project. if you find such, they need to be removed from your sprint. Then you should be able to start and complete your sprint.

Possible Scenario:

You have Board A that has a simple filter to bring in all issues from Project XYZ.

In Board A you create a sprint and call it Sprint 1.

There is another board D with issues from project DEF, and in that board somebody has created a sprint and also named it Sprint 1. 

(Jira does not prevent you from having multiple sprints with the same name.)

A team member using board D needs to add an issue to their Sprint 1. Rather than do that through the board D display, they edit the issue directly and modify the Sprint field to include "Sprint 1". 

Unbeknownst to them they have selected Sprint 1 from your board, not their own board. There's know obvious way to tell the difference because the sprints have the same name.

Now, in your board A, you try to start Sprint 1 and you cannot, because you don't have Manage Sprints permission in project DEF, and there is an issue from project DEF in your sprint. You don't see that issue in your sprint in your board, because your board filter shows only issues in project XYZ.

Thanks, Trudy, for taking the time with a great explanation. All the suggestions had already been checked.

It was none of those scenarios in my case. I did have Manage Sprint capabilities.

What it ended up being, was a mistake on my end - I was trying to manage the Sprint from the Backlog view on the board (where you can see the Active Sprint), not the actual Active Sprint view on the board. I've been using Kanban boards for so long, I must have forgotten the Scrum boards.

Thanks, again!

Suggest an answer