Are there Logical "OR" quick filters?

Quick filters are a really useful tool in Scrum and Agile boards, but I get confusion from my users. For example out issues go through several distinct periods, PM, Dev, QA, Done. I have quick filters for each of these, but the work as "AND" buttons. if I want to filter on Dev & QA, I have to create a new filter.

Is there a way to "OR" the filters, so I can click on two filters and get the "OR"ed result?

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

No, the filters are deliberately set as AND, and they do try to show you that they are selected many times. I suspect that with a bit of code (possibly even just javascript), you could change the behaviour so that when you click one filter, it automatically deselects the rest (although you're then going to find people like me who need AND in there complaining)

Note, you've said OnDemand, so your only route is javascript, as you can't hack the core code.

Is there a feature request ticket in JIRA that we can vote on and follow?

Atlassian have pretty much said "no". See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-8975

I would love to be able to configure filters to be grouped mutually exclusive, like radio buttons. The UI should be displayed as a group of buttons, (e.g.: http://getbootstrap.com/components/#btn-groups )

You would define a group by adding a group (displayed as a drop area) in the quick filters option, and then dragging the filters into that group.

I also would like this feature, but unlike the user below is implying it's not from confusion of users but rather a desired function to combine to filtered groups.

0 vote

Correct, you can't have it both ways, and AND is *far* more useful choice when you can't. It would be nice to be able to use OR instead, but you'd need a *very* clear way to display it.

One of the ways to display and/or filters might be to have panels: buttons within a single panel enforce OR conditions, and filters checked in different panels enforce AND conditions. That would be just perfect from my point of view and should be quite user friendly and clear.

I am actually running into the exact problem. I have a need to display 1 OR many projects issues based off a label. When I select multiple projects, it uses the logical operator of "and" instead of "or" and immediately displays 0 results (since an issue can only be to 1 project). I understand the logic of "and", and agree it should still exist. Having the option to create "or" filters would be a huge help.

I found a solution to the problem.
It is necessary to use inverse logic.
For example, you have three projects: P1, P2, P3.
And you want to display issues from these projects in different combinations.
You need to create three quick filters:

Name: Hide P1
JQL: project != "P1"

Name: Hide P2
JQL: project != "P2"

Name: Hide P3
JQL: project != "P3"

Now, by switching these filters, you can choose any variation of the project mapping:

P1 + P2 + P3
P1 + P2
P1 + P3
P2 + P3
P1
P2
P3

Yep, I am finally using the same approach. But still it is not so clear for end users.

Create a dashboard based on the filter "PM & Dev & QA & Done", and quick filters to exclude each one.

Migrate to server afterwards you'll be able to filter the board without any limitations using the Agile Board FIlter add-on

board filtering.png

Cheers

Przemyslaw

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published Friday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

63 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot