Are story points moved when migrating from nexgen to classic?

Pam Heishman March 5, 2019

I understand that nexgen JIRA a uses Story Point Estimate field. If I move all my issues to a new classic project, will the story point values move?  I read another post on Two Story Points fields causing issues such that there is a Story Point (classic) and then a Story Point Estimate (nextgen) field. I'm not sure if I migrate all my issues via 'bulk move'  from nextgen to classic jira they will move over. Has anyone tried this?

When I look at a Classic Project, the field is also labeled Story Point Estimate so I was unsure. 

Thank you,

Pam

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

Hi @Pam Heishman - As per https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects-957974933.html, your story point estimates will be lost if you migrate your issues from next-gen to classic using bulk move.

You're right in that behind-the-scenes, the fields that handle story point estimates for classic and next-gen are different, and this means that the information doesn't transfer over when you bulk move the issues.

Hope that helps!

Pam Heishman March 5, 2019

I appreciate such a quick reply. The link you referenced doesn't explicitly mention what will or won't be migrated. Are story points the only thing I won't have? (e.g. I'll have the sprint and issues relationships and other standard fields) 

I guess I need to do an export of the issues so I have a .csv to reference to manually add in the story points, unless there's a better way. 

I think exporting and importing wouldn't give me comments and maybe a few other things.

thx,

Pam

Ken Siskind April 29, 2019

I also found that you lose the Epic names when migrating from NextGen to Classic.  I had to manually add those back in.

MorganPutnam December 12, 2019

Has this issue been fixed?  If not when will it be?  I'd like to move tickets from a Classic Project to a Next-Gen Project, but losing all of the story points is painful.  

Like # people like this
3 votes
Zheng Jin February 17, 2021

For anyone that's getting here:

If you are migrating from NextGen to classic and want to keep the story points, please see the following steps:

1. Make sure your classic project has the "Story point estimate" field enabled, otherwise you will lose the data.

2. In your workflow, add a transition from "To Do" (or whatever status you end up having) to itself called "Migrate", and add a post function: copy the field value of "Story point estimate" to "Story points".

3. Bulk move the stories from NextGen to classic.

4. Bulk transition the stories with the transition you created in step 2.

5. Delete the transition (you don't want to keep it around).

Marc Bodley May 16, 2021

brilliant

Joseph Rossi May 1, 2023

Wow! Thanks a ton Zheng Jin :)

Suggest an answer