Are labels shared across all projects?

Andrew Evans May 26, 2022

I did some digging in older community posts that says labels are, in fact, globally shared across all projects but for the life of me I can't prove that with testing project specific access. We have one project we need other project users to NOT be able to see any content for....so I need to make sure labels are in fact project specific vice global. 

Is there any way to confirm that?

If labels are in fact global, I suppose a custom, project specific field will have to suffice yes?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

Hi Andrew - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, Labels are shared across all Company-managed and Jira Work Management Projects. Team-managed projects are self contained to do not share objects with other projects. 

Andrew Evans May 26, 2022

Thanks @John Funk !

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

You are very welcome!

Worn 'n Torn September 28, 2022

This is my trouble also.  I think I read that labels are retained to maintain data in issues if they are linked across projects and teams.  

However it seems a problem (certainly for JSM and JWM), because picking a label means wading through a decade of labels built up by the dev-team.  People constantly want to choose the wrong one.

1. Is the only way **not** to inherit labels from other projects to go with a team-managed one?

2. Are there other attributes that Jira cloud has to share across all the projects in the Cloud instance, in similar ways to labels?

This matters as we rely on Jira's issue collectors to drive our webforms.  They don't function in a team-managed project yet(?), but are the only way (beyond email or calling in) that someone can raise an issue without a license. This takes away from our youthful exuberance about Jira in week one. Perhaps this feature is being deliberately left out to force everyone to buy seat licenses?

Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2022

Hi @Worn 'n Torn ,

Welcome to the community! 

People picking the wrong or outdated labels is a super-common issue with labels – there's even quite a few label management apps on the marketplace. Project Labels is my personal favorite one of those, because it can automatically correct labels and because I work for the vendor. 

But to answer your questions:

1. Actually, not even team-managed projects are safe from labels. In contrast to virtually all other objects labels are even shared with team-managed projects.

In fact, label suggestions are even cached in-browser, so that even a label that has been removed everywhere might still be suggested for some time for some users. 

2. I might miss some, but I think the only other globally shared field in Cloud is Priority, which also has the same priorities everywhere team- and company-managed projects alike.

As for having unlicensed users create tickets: You could also build a simple form yourself somewhere and use the Jira REST API to create tickets. It might also be worth it looking at Jira Service Management, which is pretty much designed around unlicensed, external persons raising issues and being able to follow-up on them.

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events