Archiving initiative (and everything under it)

Joris March 21, 2023

Hi,

When doing migration to the cloud we have been talking with our implementation partner about archiving options. Because we are a government organization we have strict regulations about archiving certain types of work for certain types of periods (depending on the topic, from 7 to 30 years) and after that it must be deleted.

Since most of the projects are ongoing, being used by the IT-teams responsible for a certain application, we discussed the option of archiving initiatives (we do use an initiative/epic/US/etc. structure) and where told that that would be an option.

However, I just wanted to make a start with archiving initiatives and since I couldn't find it within Jira, i started searching for it and did find some articles where it is stated that archiving, anything else than a project, is not an option in the cloud. For example: Solved: Archiving a story (atlassian.com)

This seems to be an issue (an actual issue, not a Jira issue ;) ) for us, but I can't believe that we are the first facing this. Therefore I would like to ask you all, what you might think would be the solution for our situation.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Hi @Joris , I see archiving feature sort of new-ish at least in the Atlassian product world. As such there isn't a ton of flexibility. With that said I think you should be able to achieve this using bulk archive as explained in article - easy-way-to-archive-a-lot-of-issues . While I have not tried it as yet, I believe you should be able to query for all issues under an initiative, and then use the bulk archive feature. please note the limitations (<= 1000 issues) expressed in the article, and how to deal with those invitations.

Joris March 22, 2023

Thanks @Jack Brickey 

Any idea whether Atlassian does have this in scope for further development of their cloud product(s)?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

No idea. I took a quick look at JAC but nothing popped up. You could share your feedback via the Give Feedback link under the "?" icon.

Joris March 23, 2023

Done.
Thanks for the suggestion/effort ;)

0 votes
Joris March 22, 2023

Anyone else?
Someone did use the suggested sollution, or did find another solution?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events