Anyone having issues searching KB from JSD?

Collene Hansen July 9, 2019

(Apologies if this posts more than once, my first post didn't show up)

We've tried to ask Atlassian support for help on this, but haven't been able to get a real answer other than "investigating", so we thought we'd ask if anyone else in the community is having a similar problem.

We recently upgraded our Jira server to version 8.1.0, our Jira Service Desk plugin to 4.1.0, and our Confluence server to 6.13.4. After the upgrade, our service desk agents and customers have reported that the knowledge base articles returned during searching from the service desk portal were not relevant to the search, severely impacting the usefulness of the KB. After some investigation, we noticed that the issue seems to be related to spaces in the request. As an example, I've attached four screenshots of the issue we're seeing. In the first screenshot, I did a search for "what is an SBA". We have an article in our KB named exactly that title. However, none of the results were related to SBA at all:

for-atlassian-1.png

In the second screenshot, I did a search for simply SBA and the 3rd result was the article I was looking for:

for-atlassian-2.png

I also attached a screenshot of Chrome developer tools network tab. While the service desk portal page is correctly using the encoding %20 for spaces in the request (see the URL in the location bar), the AJAX REST requests are being sent to the backend using %2520 for the spaces.

for-atlassian-3.png

In the last screenshot, I just displayed the results for the REST service using the correct encoding:

for-atlassian-4.png

We do have a reverse proxy with Apache on our production servers, but in order to eliminate that as the cause, we did 3 vanilla installations of Confluence and Jira (straight out of the box using the installers, no plugins or customizations) and had the same problem.  We also tried upgrading to Jira 8.2 and Service Desk 4.2, and while the problem with spaces was fixed, the same issue happens if the user adds a ? to the end of the request.  We also noticed that there are random other problems with other special characters in the request (&, #, and !), including erroring out and not displaying anything at all!  Upgrading isn't a fix for us, because since we use KCS, agents and customers have gotten into the habit of adding a ? to the end of their searches.

We've tried Linux, Windows, Java version changes, etc, with no luck.  Atlassian support has told us that using their environments they were unable to recreate the same problem using the same versions of the products we have installed.  Has anyone else seen similar issues as this?

0 answers

Suggest an answer