Any tips on how to get stable performance out of the new (mandatory) JIRA Cloud View?

Tony Marek April 23, 2021

We're running JIRA Cloud and finding the new view almost impossible to work with. Editing fields is a nightmare. Constant refreshes make editable fields flash on and off, change position, and simply not accept edits.  The view crashes the tab and often crashes the browser (Firefox is my default).  This is becoming a productivity killer, quite the opposite of the reason for the product's existence.

Any suggestions on how to stabilize and improve performance with the new view?

2 answers

0 votes

Update: this seems to be related to the complexity and number of external links in an issue/ticket. 

My organization generates an issue view with many specialized fields and options. Often many of the tickets are complex, with a lot of external links to other, related issues.  We're noticing that the problems described above are much worse with the bigger tickets, with long comments threads and more external links.  It seems that the screen will continue to refresh (as we attempt to work within it) maybe as much as once for every external link that appears in the comments and various fields.  So as we attempt to work in the issue, we're constantly "interrupted" by series of refreshes, which disrupt our edits.

Simpler tickets with fewer external links seem to be more stable.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2021

This seems like something you would want to discuss with Atlassian support. As Nic mentioned I’m not seeing any of these issues as well but it seems maybe there’s something unique about your tickets that may be exposing some issues. If this is the case I’m sure Atlassian would want to login and take a look. 

Tony Marek May 10, 2021

Hi -- this is confirmed as a bug by Atlassian, with our apps/production team. Not fully defined yet, but probably plug-in related.  If I get further details I'll post them here.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2021

I can't think of a way to make what I'm going to say not seem contentious, but, I'm simply not seeing any of these problems on my machine, so I need to ask what the difference is between your browser and mine. 

My firefox is up-to-date, has a small handful of extensions (a password safe, clacks overhead, and a tracking blocker) and it works absolutely fine with Jira Cloud.

So, there's a quick and obvious test - try a different browser, ideally a standards-based one (so not anything from Microsoft) and see if that has similar problems.  If it does, then there's something odd about your machine or network.  If it has no problems, then you know it's something in your browser.

No, that's certainly not contentious.  I appreciate any response.

However, I have the exact same problems in Chrome.  I'm running Windows 10 on a relatively new machine with a relatively normal amount of RAM.

Just the simple act of editing a field within an issue takes as many as a half-dozen attempts before I can successfully make the edit. The screen will go blank, randomly refresh while I'm in a field, crash the tab and, worst-case, crash the browser.  We're on a release deadline and this is a genuine bummer.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events