An issue has been created but is not visible. WHY?!

Jason North August 17, 2014

I'm in a JIRA trial and really want to like JIRA, but it's driving me crazy.

Can someone help me understand why after creating an issue on a project I would get an error that says:

An issue has been craeted but it is not visible.

I assigned it to a sprint... shouldn't I see it on the board?

I don't get it.

6 answers

1 vote
Bhasker Madella January 22, 2020

I know the solution for this issue; Go to the board settings and under filter there should be something like View issues which are hidden. when you click on it it goes to Columns under settings. Map the appropriate status under TO DO, InProgress and Done. After which go to backlog you will see the magic. Thanks all

I spent alot of time in figuring this out. hope this helps!!

1 vote
Eric Franklin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2015

Hi Jason,

I hope you found an answer to your inquiry, but if not, I ran into this issue today with a customer and was able to figure it out. The customer who had this issue had not mapped any statuses to the columns on his board. This meant that the customer could search and find the issues, but was unable to see them in the board.

To resolve this, you will need to map the issues to the associated columns. Please see the document titled Configuring Columns for more information on this.

Best regards,

Eric Franklin

0 votes
Stéphane Eursels April 7, 2020

Hi

I have the same problem with my last project and kanban board (create after migration on Jira Data Center 8.3.4).

When an user create a new issue in this projet, the issue is not displayed in the board and if the user clicks on the link in his notification the system indicates that the issue does not exist.

If I click on option to search for issues and order the filter by created date this issue doesn't appear.

On the other way, if you type your key in the search field, it will be found.

The only way I found to display the issue in question in the board is to launch a reindexing of the system.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2020

This suggests you have something automated on issue create that is breaking the index.

0 votes
Pauline Monroy January 21, 2019

I checked my query filter, the column mappings - but nothing seems to work. 

I create issues, but I keep seeing the same error. I am able to find them when I search for them through the filter but they dont appear even with a backlog enabled.

If someone could think of a possible mistake I am making, any help would be useful! Thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2019

This message occurs when you create an issue from a board, but the board configuration is such that the issue is not selected for view on the board.

You say you've checked the query filter and column mappings, but I'm afraid you have missed something in them.

Could you give us the board filter, the "done" filter if the board is a Kanban board, and tell us what status in your workflow are in the "unmapped" column of the board configuration.  Then look at one of the new issues that is not appearing on the board?

My Filter Query looks like this: project = ITCNDT ORDER BY Rank ASC

And the query produces the right results as a filter query.

There are no statuses in my unmapped column of the Board Configuration. Issue jira.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2019

So when you create an issue from the board, what project and status does it land in?

Do you have any quick-filters defined?

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-,

When I create an issue (either from the board or from the left-hand side bar), I get the same error (Issue has been created but is not currently visible). I can find the issues listed when I view "all issues" and in all the other filters in "Issues and Filters". They land in the right status as per my workflow -  "To Do". But the issues don't appear on my Kanban board. 

I created a Backlog too, mapping my first status "To Do" onto it, but it didn't appear there either. 

The only quick filters defined are the default two: "Only My Issues" and "Recently Updated".

Could any settings with my workflow be the probable cause?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2019

No, the workflow won't affect it, unless you've done something in your workflow that is breaking the indexing.

Could you

• Go to one of the issues you've created that does not appear on the board and show us the issue details - the area with priority, status, versions etc
  • In that area, click on the workflow view to get the popup and show us the diagram.
  • Give us what the "done" filter is (as you've confirmed it is a Kanban board) - the second query on the general configuration tab of the board

One other minor thing, which should not be a problem here, but will make reporting look odd - your status are incorrectly categorised.  To-do should be in the blue "to do" category, and Design and Review should be in the yellow "in progress" one.

Hartej Arora April 17, 2019

Hi,

I've landed in a similar problem where 20 minutes after changing the original status that issues are created in, I am not getting this "Issue <key> has been created but is not currently visible".

I cannot search this issue in the issues search (JQL) either. When I search the exact key from the search bar it says the issue is either deleted or I do not have permissions to view it.

Any ideas what is going on?

Kind regards,

Like Ewald Detjens likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

I would say that either

• you have "create issue" but not "browse project" permissions in the project you are creating the issue in
  • the workflow has a function on it that is setting the issue security when the issue is created, in a way that means you have no permission to see it

Ask your admins which one it is.

Hartej Arora April 22, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Thanks for your reply but its not either of those things.

Project gives anyone browse permissions and

Issue Security is not turned on for the project

I am one of the admins for the instance.

Thanks,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

"When I search the exact key from the search bar it says the issue is either deleted or I do not have permissions to view it." only happens when the issue is deleted or you do not have permission to see it because of the project permissions or security scheme.

Hartej Arora April 22, 2019

Right. I believe these issues were deleted right away on creation. What I am trying to figure out is what triggered the deletion.

The issue creation confirmation that jira displays also read "Issues XXX-yyyy has been created but is not visible"

Thanks for your help, Nic but this seems one for the unsolved mysteries pile.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

If it's being deleted that fast, there must be a listener or autmation killing it during create - start with those two sections of admin.

Paul Lumsdaine
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 14, 2019

Not sure if this helps anyone but I had the same problem and it was due to enabling issue security.

Certainly was secure!

Once I disabled issue security I had no issues (pun intended).

Ewald Detjens
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2019

I have same problem as Hartej.  I switched from entering a bug to entering a story and got the "currently not visible" message and it is nowhere to be found.

I am not only admin but system admin.  Not a security thing.

The next time I got to add an issue it works.

Jira bug.

Frustrating to enter a bunch of info and have it lost...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2020

I should point out that your status as an admin is irrelevant.  Admins get admin rights.  Not automatic "can see everything".  You should start by checking the permission and security schemes for the project.

0 votes

The board only has to Quick Filters... "Only My Issues" and "Recently Updated', neither of which are highlighted or ON.

Is that what you mean? If so, any other ideas?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2014

Look at the filter that the board is using - the usual problem for what you are seeing is that the board filter excludes the issues you are creating for some reason.

The board only has two Quick Filters... "Only My Issues" and "Recently Updated', neither of which are highlighted or ON.

Is that what you mean? If so, any other ideas?

Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2014

Hi Jason,

Is the issue visible in the project? Does the project summary page show that there is one issue in it?

Here's how you can get to the project's summary page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Browsing+a+Project's+Summary

GOT IT! Thanks. I'm slowly learning JIRA. I really appreciate the help. :-)

Like Elvie Plaskota likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2014

For anyone who lands here searching for something similar - the quick filters are for display, toggling on and off during day-to-day usage. The problem was (I think) in the filter that tells us what to include on the board overall. Board -> Admin -> Config

Suggest an answer