An epic cannot have another epic linked to it.

Suma Pralhad Kustagi September 29, 2021

Hi,

I get a error when I try to edit the Epic..

An epic cannot have another epic linked to it.How to resolve this issue..

Regards,
Suma

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

Hi @Suma Pralhad Kustagi 

Did this Epic came to be from switching issue types (e.g. in the beginning this was a Story inside an Epic, which later on you change this issue to an Epic)?

Hi Alex,

There is no change in issue type and also when I create new epic and try to edit I get that error.

Regards,
Suma

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

Can you please write down the steps you take, in order to reproduce this as well? Be as thorough as you can.

Hi Alex,

I select a particular project and try to create a new ticket for issue type Epic and give the mandatory fields.

Once created I click on edit and get that error..

Attaching the snapshots for the same

Regards,
SumaEpic Link issue.PNGCreation of epic.PNG

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2021

@Suma Pralhad Kustagi remove it from the "edit" screen of the epic. No need to be there. Try that and let me know if it worked.

• cog >  issues > custom fields
  • Find Epic link and click to edit the screens
  • Remove the appropriate screen
  • Try the whole operation again
Suma Pralhad Kustagi September 30, 2021

Hi Alex,

I have done the way mentioned but in case we need a epic link for that particular project do I face the same issue again??

No other way we can handle this ??

Regards,
Suma

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2021

If you think that you will use it then you have to create a different screen scheme for either the epic (not to  include the epic link) or different screen scheme for all other issues (so as to include the epic link). Please read this documentation.

The mentality is simple:

• Create screens (max 3, for the create, edit and view issue operation)
  • Create a new screen scheme and associate it with the above created screens
  • Create a new issue screen scheme to associate the above screen scheme with a specific issue type

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events