Advanced roadmap hierarchy Levels

elvir.dzeladin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2020

Hello,

I have a special requirement regarding advanced roadmaps in jira software.

Basically it is possible to add levels above Epic issue (Initiative and so on)

How ever there is no way to to add levels under Epic.

ar.PNG

Any idea why there is this limitation ?

Thanks for help,

Elvir

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2020

Because you don't need it in any of the frameworks Atlassian are aiming Jira Software at (and Align, and the rest).

Plain Jira (Core) is an issue-tracker.  It has issues (stories), and a single layer of sub-tasks beneath them.  Jira Software (Agile/Greenhopper) added Epics, as Agile suggests a layer above stories.  Epics were a bit of a fiddle in the way they were implemented, and that's left us with a bit of a problem in that they're project issues with some special functions layered over them, not a proper layer in themselves.

If you want to go for SAFe, the name of that layer should be "feature", with Epics higher up.  Advanced Roadmaps allow you to extend upwards because most of the scaled frameworks have layers above Story, and other cross-story functions (themes and initiatives)

But for basic Agile and issue tracking, you don't need anything more than Epic / Story / Subtask.  So Atlassian never implemented anything for it.  And you can't wedge things in between without a lot more code that Atlassian don't support.

The only thing I've seen that allows you to do layers between Epic, Story and Sub-task is the Structure app, which does a good job of making it look like there are more layers both above or in-between epic/story/subtask

Eric Hoppe October 26, 2020

Can you please clarify whether Advanced Roadmaps work with next-gen projects?  I'm guessing "no" because I cannot edit Issue type schemas for a next-gen project, only Classic.  But then, Roadmap does not show up as an option for Classic projects, only Plans.  Confused!

Abel Lineberger March 8, 2021

@Eric Hoppe  - that's a big old nope.  As of now AR does not work with Nex-Gen projects.

Like # people like this
Marco Girasoli September 22, 2021

Ok but what about have thinks at the same level than stories or tasks. How can I handle milestones?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2021

You would treat things at the same level as stories, as, well, stories.  They might have a different name, but all the issues at that level do the same thing.

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2021

What an absolute nightmare.

Between custom hierarchies that aren't really custom and different features available in 20 different project types I'm SO sick of Jira.  Time to seriously consider ClickUp for my company.

0 votes
Melissa May 11, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Sorry to dig up this old question

Does Advanced Roadmap allow for the hierarchy as follows Initiatives, Epic, Task?
I need to see Initiatives and any Epic linked to it.   In my company the Project Managers enter Initiatives, once approved then the Business Group will enter and Epic and Link it (relates to). The same is done by the development team.   In order to run effective meetings We want to see Initiatives and Epic/Tasks linked as this allows us to see what different teams are working on and what the status is.

I had the Jira admins add an Initiative option but that is not changing anything in the hierarchy  

Any suggestions would be appreciated 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2023

Yes, AR can do that.  It will not alter the fundamental Jira layers of 

Epic -> base level issue -> sub-task

But you can rename Epics, and define other issue types to be at the Epic level.

Then it lets you go up from there through whatever layers you need.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events