Advanced Search - Globally setting tickets with ToDo status to Done

Stephen Kairys June 1, 2021

Hi,

We have a bunch of issues in JIRA that are so old that we need to remove them from our queue. They all have STATUS = ToDo and we wish to set to Done. The process seemed straightforward enough; however, I encountered a few issues/questions.  (For some reason, I can't paste screenshots, so please bear with this partial explanation.)

I created a small, controlled dataset to test on, using query, reversing the < to > to select newer issues.

project = DOC AND status not in (Done) AND type = Bug AND updated > -52w AND text ~ abcde

1) Per attached screenshot: When I get to this point, there's a message:
There are no fields on this screen associated with this this transition.
Should I be concerned if the process seemed to work? What does it mean?

2) Ideally, I'd like to add a comment to the Jira ticket (e.g., "Auto-closed by Stephen at Joe's request.). How can that be done at the same time I'm changing the status?

3) What would be the JQL syntax to exclude issues whose Reporter is NOT Stephen Kairys

Many thanks,

There are no fields on the screen.png

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

Likely the best option here is to create a JQL filter that represents all issues that you wish to move from to do to done. Then at the top right where are you find the… You will do a bulk edit operation.If you are not familiar with creating a filter please let me know

Wow, thanks for the speedy response. :)

You mean create a filter like this?

project = DOC AND status not in (Done) AND type = Bug AND updated < -52w

I have several that I've saved. And I can globally change issues from ToDo to Done 

I have a feeling I need to choose EDIT ISSUES instead of TRANSITION ISSUES.

See screenshot below:

But while on the subject, how do I change the name of an existing filter?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

if that filter resolves to the issues you want to change then yes. to change the name of the filter click on the Details link then Edit permissions.

Stephen Kairys June 2, 2021

Hi,

I'm playing around with EDIT ISSUES. The UI where you enter what you want to change seems pretty straightforward.

I want to set STATUS = DONE and RESOLUTION to Issue too old to solve

However, there are two Status fields on the screen (1 of 4) where you select which tickets to modify. (See attached.)

I eventually choose EDIT ISSUES on CHOOSE BULK ACTION (2 of 4), leading me to OPERATION DETAILS (3 of 4). Which field do I choose on this screen to change Status from ToDo to Done? Thank you. Two Status Fields.PNG

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2021

To get issues from "Todo" to "Done" (in this very example) you indeed need the "Transition".
An Edit will never let you transition an issue through workflow.

The message "There are no fields on this screen associated with this this transition." is an informational one and should not stop the process at all.

As you said you want to post a comment in bulk before the transition (which is absolutely fair) you might want to execute the bulk "edit" still. But immediately after this I suggest to do the bulk "transition".

Stephen Kairys June 7, 2021

I was able to add a comment with Bulk Transition but not under all use cases. I'm not sure what the pattern is. Thanks.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

We would need to better understand the details. Can you assess what is different between an issue that succeeds in one that fails? Are there differences in issue types, statuses, etc. if you take one of the ones that fails can you manually execute the change?

At this point, it's been a few days and I forget all the details; however, I seem to recall that limiting the process to tickets marked ToDo (rather than In Progress) seemed to work best. At this point, we have done the transition and I can't spend much more time on this issue. I would appreciate knowing, however, how to change the name of an existing search filter. Thanks.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

To change the name pull up the filter in the advanced search and click on the details link at the top and then click on the permissions link in the modal pop up.

Modal popup: PERPermissions is not a hyperlink.PNGMISSIONS does not contain a link.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

Hmmm, unsure. Have not seen this. Is this a filter you created? Can you simply create a new filter. For example simply perform a save as and enter new name.

Let me get back to you. On something higher-priority but will take a look when I need a break., :) Thanks.

0 votes

Wow, thanks for the speedy response. :)

You mean create a filter like this?

project = DOC AND status not in (Done) AND type = Bug AND updated < -52w

I have several that I've saved. And I can globally change issues from ToDo to Done 

I have a feeling I need to choose EDIT ISSUES instead of TRANSITION ISSUES.

See screenshot below:

But while on the subject, how do I change the name of an existing filter?

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events