Advanced Roadmaps vs. Roadmaps

Michal September 3, 2020

Hi,

Can you please explain what is the difference between the new released feature of roadmaps (BETA) for classic JIRA projects vs. Advanced Roadmaps (which is not part of the basics plan).

Best,

Michal.

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jira Guru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2020

Advanced Roadmaps is a Jira Software Cloud Premium feature that's designed to help multiple teams collaborate together, track the big picture (levels higher than epics), identify dependencies across large pieces of work, and allows you to do teams capacity based planning

vs

The basic roadmap is available to all customers on Jira Software Cloud. It’s specifically designed to help individual teams plan and track their big picture  (upto epic level only) goals.

bmccarthy October 16, 2020

Hi There.  We're just starting to look into Roadmaps.  Question on Jira Roadmaps (both Basic and Advanced): Is the Roadmap built just by using start and end dates in Epics?  Or, is it more sophisticated than that?   

Like Shane Buswell likes this
Che-Chuen Ho November 17, 2020

Advanced Roadmaps have quite a number of ways to slice data, not just by start/end dates. Not sure about Roadmaps (Beta), though.

Jose Chacon November 26, 2020

Hi all!

We started with Jira Standard couple months ago and evaluating if we need the Premium for portfolio management basic needs.

It will be great if you point me to detailed Roadmaps vs Roadmaps Advance so far, the Advance Roadmaps looks like the only feature that we'll need.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Kirk Gould December 8, 2021

The Roadmaps function in Jira is new. The Advanced Roadmaps add on in Jira seems to be written by a Genius and it seems to use artificial intelligence, but it has behavior that is not all documented and not always intuitive.

I recommend learning about the new Roadmap function that can be access through Jira first and push it to its limits before you try Advanced Roadmaps.

Advanced Roadmaps has a nice feature in its conventional (older) setup that allows you to easily put in holidays and vacations for individual team members in shared teams and then it can automatically calculate the number of Story Points to use in your next Sprint based on prior Sprint Velocity and current Team member availability. Handy for Sprint Planning.

Kirk from Scrum Inc.

Elisa Zaroni June 2, 2022

This sprint points calculation works out of Advanced Roadmaps also.

Didn't see this feature in there till now.

Oranit January 19, 2023

Hello Kirk, 

I was reading your post which seems very helpful. 

As a software development company, we are managing all of our resources, tasks and progress in the Jira.

I need to find the easiest tool that would help me track in the most friendly way:

1. Resource management - company-wide / each project separately

2. Schedule tracking

3. Dependencies and priorities - for example if I need a specific developer in 2 projects for the same time - have some notification that he is occupied and ask me to change the date planned.. 

4. Budget tracking

5. Friendly view of timeline with what's in progress / done

I was offered to use Roadmap / Advance Roadmap,

I'll be happy to get your opinion of that

Also need to understand:

1. Is there a possibility to add a task that is not in the projects scope and not included in Jira?  Such as - sales / pre sales activities etc, (not developments and product design activity...)

2. Can we set a baseline plan and check it during progress in front of the actual timeline and hours spent? (foe example, in Instagantt there is a possibility to mark a plan as the baseline and always compare the current situation to the baseline to see all diviations)

If there is such option, where can I find the instructions of how to work with that?

and how many 'baselines' can I set per project / sprint?

3. Is there a possibility to share a specific roadmap with client without giving him any access to any other info in the project?

I thank you in advance and hope to find some answers :-) 

0 votes
Warde Wynter August 17, 2021

Hi...we have upgraded to premium to be able to use Advanced Roadmaps

I have configured Themes and Initiatives within JIRA

However... I can't find where I can create an Advanced Roadmap?

Or is simply the Roadmap option in the Left Hand Menu (We are on JIRA Cloud)

bmccarthy August 18, 2021

It's not on the left nav.  It's from the "Plans" dropdown.   Follows "Projects", "Filters",  "Dashboards", etc.  

Like Warde Wynter likes this
Warde Wynter August 18, 2021

Ah...thanks :-)

bmccarthy August 19, 2021

Sure.  Curious how you implemented/configured Initiatives and Themes.   

Warde Wynter August 19, 2021

Hi ... I can put together a summary with some screen images if that helps

Cheers Warde

bmccarthy August 20, 2021

Nothing elaborate!  

We created a new project in Jira for Initiatives, with just one issue type of Initiative. 

For Themes, we've created a label field called Theme on the Initiative record.  

We wanted to start w/something simple and are currently using/reviewing.  

Just wondering how others are doing this.  

Warde Wynter August 20, 2021

we created a new project \and added 2 Issue Type's 'above' the Epic level (all within the same Project

This allowed us to manage a number of initiatives across a number of areas ( themes) in the business. the themes aligned to business or capability or functional areas

The Themes have no 'end dates'  while Initiatives are essential 'projects' or 'mini-projects' 

While ideally we need to move towards a Scaled Agile approach , this approach has allowed us to coordinate delivery in an Agile way yet keep it coordinated

Screenshot 2021-08-21 123040.jpg

Like bmccarthy likes this
bmccarthy December 8, 2021

Hi Warde, I had another question on this, if you don't mind.  How do you 'link' Initiatives to Themes?   

Warde Wynter December 8, 2021

Hi... I will double check, but the way we do it is to create the Theme's and Epics from within a Plan and then drag the Initiatives under the Theme

You may also be able to use the Link option  in JIRA and state in the Link option that the Initiative is a child of the Theme

I apologise if this is not clear. 

I will double check the above by creating a demo project see if I can provide some screen image 

Let me know how you go. as I said, I will double check and provide 'better instructions' 

Cheers
Warde 

bmccarthy December 8, 2021

Thanks!   Looks like it might be through Custom Hierarchy Levels.   Reading up on that now.   

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-custom-hierarchy-levels-in-advanced-roadmaps/

Warde Wynter December 8, 2021

I think I may have misunderstood your question. Sorry..

You were asking how to initially link the concept of Issue Types = Themes and Initiatives as a hierarchy 

sorry about that

Cheers
Warde

Like bmccarthy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS