Advanced Roadmaps: Managing initiatives shared across boards

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2021

We use a single project for all of our work with a custom field (on all issue types from Initiative down to Sub-task) to identify each agile team. Boards are all built off that custom field and I have Plans are built off of those boards for each agile team. That works great except for the case where an Initiative includes work from multiple agile teams. In that case, the initiative only shows up in the plan that has that specific agile team custom field set on the initiative. As a workaround, I added initiatives for all the agile teams to all of their board filters but now all the initiatives show up for all teams in the team-specific plans. 
I've been trying to figure out a way to write a filter that would include only relevant, cross-team initiatives but I don't think there's enough coffee in North America for me to figure that out on a Friday morning. Can anyone help with how I might do that? 

TIA!

-Kathy

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

Can you set the custom field identifying the agile team to more than one value? What type of field is it?

If you can set the field to more than one value, then in the Initiatives set that field to include every team that has work in the Initiative. Then for your filter have the condition for 

custom_field in (<this board's agile team>)

should do the trick.

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2021

Unfortunately, that is a single select list that is used by multiple projects so I can't change it. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Could you add another field to the Initiatives that can contain multiple values? 

Just brainstorming off the top of my head...

If you could add a custom Labels field to the Initiative, you could use Automation to populate it. Set the Automation to trigger on update to the existing Agile Team field, and add that value to related Initiative's multi-agile-team Labels field. Then use that field as part of the board filters.

Suggest an answer