Advanced Roadmap - Hierarchy

Sébastien Bigras June 2, 2021

Where or what is the field I can found the new hierarchy link? Like the Epic link.

Currently I have my roadmap all setup but when I look at my Initiave level and above, I can't see the link except if I'm in the road map view.

Thanks for your help

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2021

Hi @Sébastien Bigras 

Issue types at a higher level of hierarchy than epic will be stored in a project, but you can't use them outside of Advanced Roadmaps. You can see them as issues but they won't associate in a normal Jira project.

It might not seem intuitive but it's to do with the way Portfolio was built before it was acquired by Atlassian and changed into Advanced Roadmaps.

Jira projects still work based on the 3 levels of hierarchy, epic - task (story/bug etc.) - sub-task.

Sébastien Bigras June 2, 2021

Hi @Stuart Capel - London ,

Thanks for your answer. If I understood it well, all Issue type Higher than Epic, I will not see what are the issue link to them except if I'm in the roadmap?

But this link is somewhere in the data base we should be able to create a custom field to see it, don't you think?

Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2021

Ah right - So you are looking for the 'issue link' I think. The Epic link is hierarchical but issue links are not. 'Issue Links' such as 'relates to' and 'blocks' will show up as dependencies in Advanced roadmap, and it is a field you can bring into your issue screen, it's a standard field. 

When I use the word associate I mean there is no relationship between Epics that are grouped up in an Initiative for example when in a Jira Project. The hierarchy only exists in the UI of Advanced Roadmaps.

Like Sébastien Bigras likes this
Sébastien Bigras June 4, 2021

Good now I understand.

How do you manage to track your initiative then?

Just with the view in Advanced Roadmap?

Thanks @Stuart Capel - London 

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2021

My understanding is that Advanced Roadmaps implements the hierarchy above Epics by using the "Parent Link" field. There are somewhat oblique references to this in the documentation, but it's not very explicit. For example:

0 votes
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2021

Yes, I mainly use Advanced Roadmap view but it's the only way to work at a higher level than in a Jira project

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events