Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Advanced Branching: For Each Smart Value Create a new Story and the subtasks

I'm using an advanced branch to create a new Story for each label added to an Epic but am unable to then also create the Sub-tasks to go with each Story. 

It seems I'm unable to add a Branch rule / related issues component inside of the Smart Value Branch.  If I could move the last branch under the "Then: Create a new Story" this automation would work perfectly.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.43.19 PM.png

I get this error in my audit log

Can't branch rule as it requires issues to have been previously created by this rule. More than likely you have not yet created an issue or the issue(s) were created in an another 'If' block or branch - these would then not be visible outside of that block/branch.

3 answers

1 vote
Joy Chiu Atlassian Team Jul 19, 2021

Hi @Brian Eschen 

This is a known issue: AUT-247 . In "For All created issues" branch, it cannot get the issues created in "For each" branch.

Cheers,

Joy [Automation for Jira]

Hi @Brian Eschen 

I haven't had a lot of success with the related issues branches.  My work-around is to use JQL branches to re-create what the related issues would have returned.  Perhaps give that a try.

Best regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy Do you have some examples handy? I haven't tried anything like that before.

Thank you!

Not really, as each case is often different. 

Let's assume you uniquely identify your newly created stories (based upon the epic labels) with a value in their own labels, such as "Needs_Subtasks".  Your next piece of the rule would be:

• branch: on JQL of project=myProject AND labels = Needs_Subtasks AND... any other criteria you needed, such as comparing to the trigger issue (epic) as parent/epic link
    • action: add sub-tasks
    • action: edit issue to clear the Needs_Subtasks from the labels

That last edit is the stopping condition, so the same issues do not repeatedly get more sub-tasks added later.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jul 21, 2021

Hi @Brian Eschen

wanting to see the results I gave it a try - it worked for a company-managed project, however I feel sceptical about the implementation because there is no usage of any advanced features. It is so simple that there might be something missing, in case you would like to check and compare it would be appreciated.

grafik.png

For an Epic labeled with "Test" upon manual run of the rule a new Story will be created.
In this Story a Sub-Task will be created. Then the "Test"-label is removed from the issue (to prevent endless-loops) - in accordance to what @Bill Sheboy suggested.
In the next step my intention was to try the JQL-approach Bill suggested but before doing so it turned out the rule seems to work like shown above - anyway, please check :)

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

⏰ Day in the life of a Jira Admin!

Hello Community! We thoroughly enjoyed this just-for-fun conversation in the Jira Admin Group about what it's like to be a Jira Admin. For #JiraJuly, our talented designers created these graphics t...

949 views 2 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you