Administrator can perform sprint actions (create, start, complete), but Project Administrator can't

Miles Tillinger April 22, 2013

Example:

• I have 2 Rapid Boards
  • Both use filters that include issues from multiple projects
  • In some cases, the same issue will appear in both boards

Problem: User is unable to Complete Sprint, Create Sprint, or Start Sprint, on either board. I have confirmed that this user has the Project Administrator role for all projects included in the filters. I have gone as far as to give this User the Project Administrator role in _all_ projects.

However, any JIRA Administrator is able to perform all of the Sprint actions.

Can anyone provide any clues as to what the problem is with this scenario?

Just FYI, here are the two filters used:

1. (team = design OR project = Design) AND project != PJP ORDER BY Rank ASC
  2. (team = creative OR project = Creative) AND project != PJP ORDER BY Rank ASC

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

(info) Note that you can only create a new sprint if you have the 'Administer Projects'permission in all projects included in this board's filter. If the filter includes a global condition (not specific to a project), it means that you need to have 'Administer Projects' rights on all the projects in the JIRA instance. An example of such a filter is label = 'test' OR project = DEMO . In this example the label condition is applied to all the projects in the system and theoretically it can return issues from any project in the instance.

That's what the documentation says. If you find that it is not the case, it may be a bug.

However, I would change "project != PJP" to "project = PJP" or do it one by one to check which project is causing the problem.

Miles Tillinger April 22, 2013

Thanks Timothy ... I had read that, but reading it here I'm interpretting it differently. In fact what it is saying is that it's not about which issues are returned by the filter, but rather, which issues could potentially be returned by the filter -- which in my case is basically any issue!

I will put this to the test and give you the karma if this is correct!

Miles Tillinger May 7, 2013

So I've given a select group of users Project Administrator role on every project in our JIRA instance, and this seems to have solved the problem ... Somewhat frustrating, as I think it would be less hassle if the requirement was only that Project Administrator role was required on all projects returned by the board's filter.

0 votes
Antigone K December 22, 2015

we are running into this on our installation, as well. we're using JIRA 6.4.11 server edition. the users who are project admins but not site admins are unable to end sprints even though they are listed as project admins for all projects listed in the filter.

of note, they still can't end the sprint even when they're viewing only this project, meaning there is no filter to potentially bring in other projects.

this is also the case when no other projects are attached to this sprint.

they can, however, begin sprints.

unfortunately, granting everyone site admin perms or adding them as admin for all projects is not a workable solution for us.

it's very important that we get this fixed, please? how do we allow non-site admins to finish sprints?

thanks!

0 votes
Alan Moore May 7, 2013

-edit-

Suggest an answer