Administration of users within a software project using the " JIRA ADMIN " function

Mohammed Arafat Naidoo January 25, 2023

Good day everyone. 

I have a Jira Admin console that gives me access to our company's directory of users that I want to use to manage who has access to what withing out Atlassian suite of products and projects with the various roles assigned.  

I have 4 projects (2 software and 2 service) and within those projects, I need to accomplish the following: 

1. Only certain users within our organization need to see a particular project.

2. Only certain users within our organization need to have admin rights for particular projects. 

3. Only certain users within our organization need to have view rights for particular projects. 

Using the Jira Admin console, I see that I am able to grant users access on a product level, i.e. User X is able to be a user on Jira Software however or an admin on Jira Service Management however I cannot seem to figure out how to do this on a project level, even with using groups. 

I am able to successfully create the users directly from a project and assign their roles however once this is done, they do not reflect on the Jira Admin console under the directory of users for our company. 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

You can create and manage groups within the User management area. However, to manage project access you need to go to each project and set up the permissions using the previously created groups. That hopefully covers your #1 & #3. #2 can be done within User management.

Mohammed Arafat Naidoo January 27, 2023

That makes sense. 

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders