Additional fields on Service Desk

Pritesh Gohil June 10, 2021

On the service desk I want to add two fields.
I want to add a date and time field for the option 'start'
Also the same again as a date and time field for the option 'end'

And then I want another field which subtract the field from the other.

For Example

START     10/06/2021 15:00

END         10/06/2021   16:00
TOTAL        0 days, 1 hour, 0 minutes 0 seconds

Would you know how to add these fields?  I haven't really got the jira knowledge on this.

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Hello @Pritesh Gohil 

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? It will say at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

What problem are you trying to solve with these custom fields? If you are looking for the time between when the issue is created and when it is closed, there is already a field for that called "Time to Resolution"

How would you expect the values in the Start and End fields to be set? Is a user supposed to set those interactively, or are you wanting them set automatically?

Pritesh Gohil June 10, 2021

It is a company managed project

When a customer reports an issue with its equipment we supply them we work on this.  We then close the ticket off.

For the equipment we have there is an availability graph on another bespoke application.  I need to manually look at this graph to understand when the item went down and then when it came up again.

So it is these dates and times I want to record on the helpdesk.

I expect the start and end field to be set with DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS.

The user will manually put this information in.

Hope this helps.  If not please say

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Refer to this document

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/custom-fields-types-in-company-managed-projects-972327807.html

It talks about the types of custom fields that are available for Company Managed projects, and has links to other pages about how to create a custom field and add it to screens so it will appear in your project.

When you have the two fields added to your project, you will have to implement a method for automatically setting the TOTAL field. I would suggest you look at the Automation feature to develop a rule that will be

- triggered by a change to the END field

- confirm there is a value in the START field

- calculate the difference and update the TOTAL field

If the values in these fields might change after they have been entered initially, then you should create a second rule that is

- triggered by a change to the the START field

- confirm there is a value in the END field

- calculate the difference and update the TOTAL field

This is the home page for documentation on the Automation feature.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events